Recovering from Kidney Infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm recovering after a nasty kidney infection which lasted about a week. This was the illest that I've ever felt in my life.  I have to stay on antibiotics for 4 wks as the bacterium has also infected my prostate gland.  Does anybody know how long it will be before I stop feeling so drained and tired?  I would say I'm currently 2 days post kidney infection symptoms. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I suffered kidney infections from being a baby to the point I had to have the kidney removed this year at 22 years old because it had calcified and almost completely lost function as a result of infections so that is the reality of how serious an infection is. I would give it around a month to feel somewhat healthy again as the antibiotics will have disturbed your bodys natural rhythm and it will take a while to restore that. I hope you feel better soon and wont suffer with another infection!

• Posted

John, that is a difficult question to answer as we are all quite different in the way we respond to any illness and to the treatment.  Also, antiobiotics themselves can take it out of some of us and, if that applies to you, it may be another 2 or 3 weeks whilst taking the pills before you feel more like your normal self.  However, I'm sure you already feel much better than at diagnosis but will just need to rest and 'go with the flow' whilst your recovery continues.  I assume you will be having repeat urine tests/blood tests to monitor your recovery and confirm that the bacteria causing the infection is under control/has resolved.  Also, I'm sure you will have already been advised to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol and too much coffee which can be dehydrating.  I hope you soon feel bettr. 
  • Posted

Your a male its not common for men to have a urinary tract infection. This post is 2 monthes ago now im sure you recovered by now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.