recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was recently in a eating disorder unit but since i have come out i have had a relapse and lost some weight. i am scared to put it back on and am unsure of how much i should be eating to gain and then how much to maintain. can anyone help please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kirsty, really sorry to hear you've been poorly, but it's great that you have been discharged even if it is a bit scary. Have you been given much of a plan with your discharge? For example, do you have a meal plan which you should be following, with portion guidance for reference, and are you under any health professionals at present who are monitoring things?

No one pretends it is easy once you come out of hospital, and something one of my close family members said after I was discharged was "so you're all better now!" 10 years later....well let's just say I'm very much getting there smile

One of the things to be aware of is that there will be lots and lots of days and weeks where you will have set backs. Life is hard. 2014, I was made redundant and resigned from my next job in the same year. I lost my Grandma and a close family friend and I had massive housing issues. My health suffered enormously, but I have been able to fight through this, and that absolutely atrocious year has made me stronger and more determined than ever. When you have these set backs, like falling off a horse, you have to try and get straight back on track, even if it is meeting somewhere in the middle initially.

On the weight gain. A fact is that your anxiety is going to be heightened if you are at a lower weight, because it links into the body's natural fight or flight when it realises it is in danger. As a result, you will feel more anxious about everything, and naturally gaining weight making it harder. I am now at my target weight and have been for over a month now. Mentally I feel way more stable than I have ever been.

Calories and maths mean that you won't keep gaining and gaining forever. Your body will get used to the amount of food you need and function at its target weight. But you have to try in order for this to happen. Yes, it is stepping into the unknown, but trust the professionals, they know what they are doing - it's the eating disorder which is telling you they are wrong.

One of the things I have struggled with is dealing with my "new" body, and so to work with this, I have treated myself to a necessary, new warderobe. It's a really good idea to throw out old clothes.

Second, I've also been doing toning classes such as yoga and pilates as they have health benefits as well as helping you feel better about those areas of insecurity. 

Keep fighting, and keep telling the anorexic voice to leave. The negative thoughts are coming from that. You can do it.

• Posted

Hiya Thank yo so much for your reply. I was just wodnering how long did it take your body to settle down and stop gaining weight? my fear is that if i always follow my meal plan i will constantly gain weight.
    • Posted

Hi Kirsty. Thanks for this. It's great to hear you are taking such positive steps in your recovery.

It is hard, and it can be difficult to stand up to the anorexic voice which is saying, if I eat my meal plan, my weight will spiral out of control. Remember that this is your eating disorder talking. Trust the health professionals regarding your weight, as they know what they are talking about.

In terms of how long, I'm afraid I don't know. Everyone's body is different. I've had my eating disorder for over ten years, yours might be quicker than mine, or longer. You might have other health complications which impact, or fewer than me and so on. The only thing you can do is be brave, and trust the experts. I know how hard it is, but it is the only way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.