Recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wanted to let people who have been diagnosed know u r lucky. I stepped out of the shower with terrible pain in my jaw, went to emergency and was then operated on . I had a 5.2 and was already bleeding into my chest cavity. Acute ascending. Dr said 12 hrs later had I not come to hospital I would be dead. I was a walking time  bomb and didn’t know. It’s been 8 months recovery is slow, breathing problems, just started to go back to gym, I’m so out of shape. Go to rehab if u have the opportunity, I asked my surgeon ,said I didn’t need it, I did.Im going to b 60 this year. My friend wound up with the same surgery 3 months after me. He had no idea either but thankfully he was diagnosed after suffering pain while swimming. Though it took 3 months & 3 places to figure it out. We coincidentally use the same cardiologist who’s amazing. I had a terrible pcp who didn’t have me on any blood pressure meds and I’ve had panic attacks & anxiety since 2005, a stressful job as well. I’m thankful I got a 2nd chance. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow thank God you made it through and thank you for sharing your story.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for the reminder to be thankful that I’m still alive. I’m female and was diagnosed at 5.3cm. Everyone wanted me to wait, but there was enough information online which made me feel very uncomfortable with waiting. I found the right surgeon, booked my surgery and then I even moved it two weeks sooner because I felt uneasy waiting. I was having occasional discomfort in my chest where the aneurysm was, especially when stressed. I did rehab but have not kept up my exercise because we just moved out of state and we were constantly driving back and forth for several months while our new home is being built. I feel week and walking is tiring. Exercise is super important and I’ve actually been looking for a gym because my equipment is still in our old home, as it hasn’t sold yet.  I had an attack of tachycardia that sent me to the ER, and my heart rate was 220.  That was the only warning sign, and I know God gave me that sign that something was very wrong. I’m thankful to be alive. Glad you are still with us as well!!
    • Posted

Dear Sandy 

Thank you. I just wanted people to know what it’s like. They don’t tell u anything.  I even had an endoscopy this past Monday because I’m still getting tightness and out of breath. It’s probably different for everyone. I’m also using mederma cream to help with the scar. 

I was a smoker and quit in 2005 and had googled signs of a heart attack. Women get additional symptoms. Mine was the stabbing pain in my jaw, also my stomach felt tightness. The worst case scenario is I would have spent 8 hrs in emergency. Being single I don’t waste any time. Happy to hear u r on the mend too!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. So glad to hear that you are still here and on the mend. We learn so much from each other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.