Recovery after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Any advice please? A relative is apparently going to need cataract surgery in the future , possibly not for a while, but the family are stressing and saying she will need to have carers or go into a nursing home to recover. I have no idea what this op is like and would really value some info as to how people managed at home with day to day stuff especially if they were on their own. From what I have read, the need for a carer seems a bit extreme especially for a person of 60 odd, but I don't want to underestimate things if it really is that bad! Any experiences would be helpful, thanks. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The surgery is done on an outpatient basis, using a local anesthetic, takes about 20 minutes and you home right after. The next day there's a follow-up exam and vision should be pretty good (maybe very good) by then. If all goes well, in a couple of days (maybe a few) vision should be fine. Drops are used for a few weeks.
  • Posted

Cataract surgery is safest and the most often performed surgery in the US.  There really is no down time.  Almost all normal activity can be performed immediately, save a few.  The only thing one must do diligently, is use the prescribed eye drops for the prescrbed duration and protect the eye(s)..  Caretakers aren't necessary unless the individual has some incapacitation of some kind.  Google cataract surgery and you'll find everything you need to know and it will put your mind at ease.
  • Posted

Thanks for replies, yes I have googled and read some info and does seem quite straightforward op and recovery . I think my family are being a bit dramatic over things! But just wanted to check others experience so thanks for the info. I am sure, like even the simplest of ops , that the first day or so will be a bit difficult, due to pain etc, but after having 2 major surgeries in the last 12 months , one being major shoulder surgery, I really do know what it is like to struggle at home afterwards! Getting dressed was no easy task! Thanks for the advice . X 
    • Posted

No actual pain either apart from as I said from a dry eye because they gave me the cheapo eye drops.
  • Posted

It is a simple 10/20 minute procedure and I took the bus home after it. Next day when you take the eye patch off you marvel at your amazing sight and go about your business but avoiding heavy lifting or carrying.

On day two I went to the races and thought I no longer need binoculars:-)

My only problem was reading books or papers until I could get new reading glasses until after the second eye was done. The antibiotic drops caused a painful dry eye but a different antibiotic and artificial tears sorted that out.

I was 80 when I had them done and had worn glasses since I was 12.

• Posted

Thank you for your info, very helpful. Sounds like quite a straightforward op. I had read that people can get good results very quickly. Glad it helped you when you went to the races! 
    • Posted

Re nursing homes. A friends husband had dementia and other health problems so she booked him into a nursing home for a week when she had her first cataract operation in case she could not look after him if he fell or needed help.

She realised it was not necessary the next time and just got someone to look after him for the day,.

• Posted

its not bad at all baring complications.  i came home alone and took care of myself after each eye.  a piece of cake for this 62 yo gal.lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.