Recovery/relapse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am in need of some advice or more reassurance really that this is normal! I turned the corner and began to feel a bit better 6 weeks ago at 5 months in, but since then I've been having one week where a lot of the symptoms either completely disappear or get significantly better, and i sleep better etc.. and im not suffering horrific anxiety and impending sense of doom. Only for the next week, for them all to come raging back and feeling like i'm right back at square one! how can I have two weeks where I feel on the road to recovery and then right back to square one?? I just don't seem to be able to go forward and stay there!! plus I've even had some symptoms from the early days which had gone months ago get thrown back into the mix! every time this happens it is just devastating and I begin to doubt my recovery and spiral back into deep depression thinking that I'll be stuck in this cycle forever and that I simply cannot live like this! Is it normal to feel like you are recovering and then relapsing over and over and still actually recover fully, because right now after another horrific night of panic attacks, night sweats and skin crawling, I'm absolutely defeated and could really use some words of wisdom from those further on in this horrific journey! I'm at 6 terrible months now and so desperately waiting for a big breakthrough that does not go backwards, will it happen??

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Martine,

I also have suffered from really strong anxiety since getting mono recently - before I was able to manage it properly and rationalise it. As in we all have issues but they are not overwhelming as they have become being sick.

I really think being sick for so long feeds into mental symptoms and vice versa. Have you tried seeing a therapist? For the first time, I'm actually considering going to one myself.

• Edited

Hi Kein,

I think it's a two part issue, I think it's partly PTSD from being so ill for so long, and partly that the anxiety is actually a symptom of the illness, its not just simple worry anxiety, it is more than that, it's like when you freak out from weed or something, like my brain chemicals are going haywire because when these episodes of doom are happening I feel completely not myself and like my brain has gone all weird! it's terrible and absolutely debilitating, but it really feels like more of a physical neurological symptom, rather than just simple worry anxiety. Plus when I get this all the other symptoms are also raging and I'm generally extremely unwell. Sometimes I can go a few days to a week and it all completely subsides, only to continually come back again. it's forward and back all of the time, but I'm struggling to see that there is actually an upwards trend, it just feels like a vicious never ending cycle at the moment. I just wish it would go forward and stay there!! How long have you been sick now??

• Posted

I'm on 7 weeks of this fun - have some good days and bad days. Honestly trying to take it slow and increase activity levels (I went clubbing last weekend lol and trying to resume normal activities.) Alcohol really does not help with tiredness though. It does seem like I am getting better but at a snails pace - the virus is lingering that's for sure.

In terms of anxiety I had a really bad week 2 weeks ago so that made me reflect on why I was feeling this way. I figured out that being sick for so long made me very anxious. I am not sure if its just because I felt so demoralized that I was still unwell ut mentally I have been doing MUCH better now that I realized that the two issues feed into each other.

It is very really odd and annoying how mono lingers and comes back and forth. How old are you? I'm 28 and it tends to be worst the older you are.

• Edited

Hi Kein,

I'm 36 and I feel like ive been sick forever!! its actually 6.5 months, but feels like a lifetime! I feel like my identity is beginning to becomes entwined with this illness, like that is now all that I am, just a really sick person.

To be honest it sounds like you have done pretty well! 7 weeks and able to even consider clubbing is fantastic! at 7 weeks I was having myoclonic jerks, I was unable to walk, I was having episodes of complete disassociation, feeling like my whole nervous system was vibrating, like being strapped to an electric chair for up to 15 hrs a day and was very close to being sectioned as I was suicidal. I was unable to care for my baby at all and had to move back in with my mum for around the clock care. I've come a long way since then, but feel like I'm now stuck in a rut and not improving any further, like the initial damage was just too great to ever be able to recover.

Honestly if you are still able to do relatively normal stuff, you will definitely recover! it may linger annoyingly for a while, but you will be ok! Don't drink, get plenty of rest! I know it doesn't feel like it, but it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones!!

• Posted

Hi Martine, you say that but yet again today and yesterday I'm sick as a dog. Here we go again... so over this for real.

• Posted

What are your symptoms at the moment Kein??

it's such a brutal struggle, I'd love to be able to offer you words of wisdom and reassurance, but i'm at 6.5 months and still in a bad way!! Mono has been a massive help on here and others too, reading recovery stories on this forum after such a long time being sick has given me the strength to go on when I didn't have anything left. I really don't understand an illness that starts to get better and then comes back over and over. it really really messes with your head and everything you understand that an illness does. Plus the way it affects your brain and nervous system is just horrific. I don't feel like I'm living, just existing. it's like living in a war zone!!

• Posted

Just extremely tired, sore throat that's gotten worst, and a general feeling of malaise. Like a low-grade fever. This always happens after a 3-4 days of feeling well. Just hope it will go away eventually.

I'm thinking of going to get a blood test today or tomorrow to see the viral load in my blood and assess what's going on. Ugh!

• Edited

Hi Martine,

This is just like my first time around, I had a relapse at nine months that lasted on and off for six weeks and then full recovery. I think that I tried to do a little to much, its a delicate balance. I also think that possibly the virus tries to come back and the bad days are just the immune system fighting it off, you will recover its just the up and down of it all. the first year is always the worst for this up and down pattern.

• Edited

Hi Mono,

Gosh, what would we all do without you, you always come to the rescue when I'm losing it, you must think I'm such a drama queen, but i'm just really struggling over here!!

So glad we have you with all of your experience with this illness, I'm only sorry that you are going through it for your 3rd time, you truly are a trooper, I don't know how you have endured it because I'm spent!!

Its just so hard to understand how you can have such good days followed by such bad ones. I've had days and days in a row where I've felt almost normal and slept well etc..only to have that followed with such hideous days that can then last two weeks, and the cycle repeats!

Do you ever find that you get old symptoms popping up that you got rid of months ago? For example in the first 3 months I would get terrible blood blisters all inside my mouth on and off. They looked very dramatic and were very scary and even my doctor was worried about it, but it stopped happening months ago and now it has come back during this latest relapse. They aren't as bad (they are only on the inside of lips rather than inside whole mouth) This is just one example, there are so many symptoms that come and go and then come back again! I haven't had night sweats in 2 months but then last night boom, drenching night sweats. It is so difficult to get rid of a symptom only for it to come back months later, I just feel so defeated, like it just isn't going to get better.

Oh and I wanted to ask you about your experience with the anxiety, what was yours like? did you feel like it was an actual physical/neurological symptom of the mono, or just a result of the depression that goes with all of the horrible symptoms?? Mine really feels like a symptom rather than about worry/depression. It is such a profound sense of doom and terror and it happens so randomly when I'm not even worried about anything and it happens all day long, it's debilitating I hope that makes sense?!

I guess I'm now worried that the damage (whatever that may be) is permanent and I'll end up with ME/CFS and my life will be intolerable for years to come. I'm already feeling like my identity is becoming this illness, like a shadow that never leaves me.

• Edited

Hi Martine,

Yes, the depression and anxiety go hand in hand and are definitely a symptom. be encouraged by the windows of good that you have experienced.

• Posted

yes mono, me and martine what would we do without you, i know for sure you give us hope, if we have the hope that it will get better, that is so tremendous, again also in my name big thank you

• Posted

for me too martine the anxiety is unreal, and also it happens all day long, i think too it goes with the ebv as a symptom

• Posted

Your very welcome, this forum was such a big help to me in the beginning when I thought I would never get better. Who knew a virus could last so long, hopefully with all the long covid research they will have treatments soon for all these long viruses.

• Edited

Hi Martine,

This is the way recovery goes, it happened to me both times. I think its the immune system fighting off remaining virus so try to rest through the bad days and know that recovery is coming and there may be a few months of ups and downs.

• Edited

Hi Mono,

did you ever feel like you just can't imagine it ever really going away? I feel like I've had this thing for so long which has completely taken over my life in every way and now I just can't imagine it not being there! I can't imagine normal. I think about my life before this illness and think how much I took things for granted and that I was healthy without this and now I feel like I'm just a sick person who spends every day just trying to make it through to the next and hoping that I get a break soon and have a good day. Our whole lives revolve around my sickness and what kind of day it's been. We can't plan anything ahead, we just have to see how I am on the day. Did you ever lose hope and think that it just wouldn't go and that you would stay sick forever?? it's a whole mental and physical battle everyday, if it were just like a normal cold or flu then it would be tough, but it's not like anything I've ever experienced, I didn't even know the body could produce such things!

• Posted

hi just read this and omg do you sound just like me. i feel so hopeless like this is my new life now and i cant imagine a life feeling normal. I'm only 19 and im worried that ill need someone to take care of me the rest of my life. Iv'e been dealing with this for over a year and at times I'm just so depressed and want to give up on life. ive truly never had to deal with anything so horrible and the constant worry is killing me. I feel you so hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.