Rectal bleeding and some questions, Polyp to Cancer timeframes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

About 3 1/2 years ago, I underwent a Colonscopy, due to rectal bleeding. They concluded that there were no Polyps or Lesions present, and although there was some Ulceration present, they did not diagnose Colitis or Crohns etc. At this time, my RBC count was 14.6

Since the beggining of 2016, I seem to be bleeding more, and after a recent blood test, found out that I'm at 8.0 Hg, was is borderline for a Transfusion, as I'm moderate~severe anemic at present.

The doctor did a quick observation today, with 2 small cameras and found quite a lot of bleeding, but it wasn't a thorough examination. He will be booking me in for a Sigmoid scope, as a minimum.

I have a couple of questions:

1)Do all Bowel Cancers start off from a Polyp, or can they just become cancerous?

2)What is the average time range, from a Polyp to Cancer. If i was clear from Polyps 3.5 years ago, is this enough time to develop a Polyp(s) and for that to turn Cancerous?

Really appreciate any info, as I'm worried sick. I fully understand that there are many other less threatening outcomes, but I can't help but worry.  thank sin advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't blame you with your worries. The bestory thing to do is to wait for your test. Me I have my colonoscopy 10 months ago and all came back clear just a hemmorhiod and diverticulosis. No polyps no biopsies.. but i still bleeding intermittent and irregular bm/on and off diarrhea and fatigue. Other than that I have ctscan/ultrasound and blood test and all clear. My advise to you is wait until you have the test or get another colonoscopy for peace of mind . Always pray to give you piece of mind
    • Posted

many thanks Bryan, I really appreciate your response and well wishes. I wish you all the best too.
    • Posted

Hi Bryan, I have a sigmoid booked in for the 26th May on the National health service, and a private health consultation tomorow (tuesday).

Once I've had the private cons done, I'll book in for a full scope on the private insurance and cancel the NHS one.

Still extremely anxious about it, I also have the anemia concern, as I was borderline for a transfusion. Very best of luck with yours, which i presume is today.

• Posted

update: today had an Endoscopy and Colonscopy done at a private health hospital in the UK. Nothing bad was detected: no growths, polyps, colitis , Crohns, or even piles. At first I was overjoyed, but then the consultant says I need further investigation by way of a Pill Cam, presumbaly to check the small intestine. This is becuase I'm anemic.

Now I'm starting to worry again, and it doesn't explain the rectal bleeding, which in my view, has been quite substancial.

he seemed to think the bleeding is maybe further up.

It may be Crohns.. which is better than the cancer. Could Crohns be missed with a colonoscopy and Endoscopy, ie you can't get in deep enough?

I'm still questioning the blood loss, I hate this waiting and worrying.

• Posted

Hi if anyone can please help?? So my husband is going in for a colonoscopy I believe it is cuz he already had an Anoscopy and they said it looked normal and that his bleeding might be coming from further in. He has had labs they are all normal I'm very worried it can be cancer polyps or cancer in general he's only 28 and so far healthy and feels good. He bleeds 2 weeks at times he says where the toilet has blood at times apart from the stool. He has no pain anywhere or anemia. Hope someone could ease my mind cuz he won't be going into his procedure the end of next monthsad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.