Rectal bleeding in children

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 3 year old son has had rectal bleeding during bowel movements for 2 weeks. We went to a&e 10 days ago where he had blood tests. I don't know what they checked for but the only thing that came back abnormal was that he had a raised white cell count. He was not anaemic but on the low side of normal. No fissures or hem aroids can be seen. His stool was soft, he was not in pain, the blood is bright red and about 5ml every time he has a bowel movement. I have also noticed he has had green goo occasionally around his rectum inbetween bowel movements. We were sent home and told to come back if it continued or was worse.       Today I took him back because I feel it is getting worse and his legs were trembling when he went for a poo this morning. When we went back to a&be they repeated his blood tests and said they are similar results.They have given my son a 3 days course of medicine to get rid of worms. The dr said its unlikely to be caused by worms but it's worth trying. My son has been referred to "the gastro team" but we have to wait for an appointment and we're told it may not be until April. Since he is otherwise fine they sent us home. My son has already been to a&e recently as he has a swollen lymph node in his neck that is non tender 1.3cm in size and has had it for 8 months. They said since he otherwise well, then leave it. He now has approx 5-6 tender swollen lymph nodes i his groin which I showed to the doctor today. Could this be related? We were told to return if the problem gets worse but how much worse does it need to get before anyone will do anything. They say it would be different if he was unwell with it so basically they are waiting for him to be ill with it rather than preventing it from getting to that stage. I don't know what to do, should I keep going back until they do something? How long is too long for this to go on? What could it be if it's not a fissure or piles?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh yeah,they also said his tonsils are really large. Not red or sore or anything, just large!
  • Posted

Hi Natasha,

We are currently experiencing this problem with our 5 year old daughter it's only when she wipes after a bowl movement. I'm researching in google everything it can be but I think a trip to A&E might be the best bet.

It's ever so worrying il keep you updated I know how worrying this can be hope you're son recovers soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.