Rectocele-awaiting a referral to Gynae

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi there, I saw my GP today who examined me to confirm that I have a rectocele, even though I have know for a while as previously been told by a NP that I have one. Only recently it has started to be very uncomfortable alongside having to splint to have a bowel motion and its now quite uncomfortable to sit down. So he has referred me to Gynae to get a treatment plan in place, but told me it will be a long wait, but has suggested I take Lactulose to stop constipation as I do have IBS aswell as doing my pelvic floor exercises and to apply E45 cream to the tender area near my hymen to stop it drying out. But just wondering how long people have been waiting for their first gynae appointment?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It will depend on several things. Which Health authority you are in,Which hospital you are referred to and if your gynae assesses your referral as urgent or routine. Most rectocele are routine . Health authorities can vary as to the waiting time for gynae appointments but most are very busy.

If you havent heard anything within a month try phoning the gynaecology department at the hospital and ask Firstly if you are on an outpatient list as sometimes these letters do go missing, and secondly how long will you have to wait. They should be able to give you a rough idea.

If they say they haven't received any letter from your GP then do remind your GP surgery.

• Edited

Hi Jules

Sympathise with you totally

I was diagnosed in Oct 23 My GP took 2 months to send the referral off and my nhs appointment is Sept 24

Luckily I have private health cover so managed to be seen last week for initial assessment I think I will be able to have the surgery as well,so just have to decide if I want to go ahead, because all Ive found is horror stories about recovery and failure of the op, so in a real state of terror about putting myself up for something so apparently awful. Can it be worse than this day to day misery?

Just dont know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.