Recurrence

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my five year mammogram last week. Hopefully by October I will be discharged. However I am a little anxious of it coming back as I suppose many of you are. Is it usually certain breast cancers that come back or can all of them.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sheelagh,

Yes your right we do worry about it coming back, although as time passes the worry does become less. I hope it helps you to know that I had my mastectomy at age 26, which is 22 years ago in October. I wish you a very long, happy, and healthy life.

• Posted

Good, take good care of yourself and don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help or advice.

• Posted

Dear Sheelagh,

At the time of the initial biopsy and pathology report during your surgery, depending on the tumor type and grade, ie spread to lymph nodes, the statistics are set. If you had a low grade tumor less than one centimeter, that did not spread to your lymph nodes, you have a much better rate of survival, etc.

If your family does not have a history of breast and ovarian cancer, and you do not carry any mutations for cancer genes, your odds are again much better that it doesn't return.

Your medical oncologist should have told you your score or likelihood ie percentage of the cancer recurring.

That being said, we are not little statistics in charts, we are human beings. If you have reached five years, the odds are looking great for you.

We all have concerns that cancer can recur, but I have had other health problems more devastating in my life, and fought back each time and won.

Make time to enjoy your life each day as it happens. Take care of your body as the temple it is. Live your life to the fullest.

Sometimes, it is better to put your worries aside and just live life. I get my screenings, my immunizations, take my medications, but realized, somethings are out of my control.

I have been an RN for 45 years and a nurse practitioner for twenty. I worked in ICU, PACU, surgery, and Home Care in NYC, and seen and felt it all, many of it beautiful interactions.

When and if you do experience a complex illness, you need to find the best physician in the best Medical Center. You will never be sorry.

My Best Wishes to you.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Juliana -

I was just diagnosed with a reoccurance of Invasive Breast Carcinoma and my breast surgeon who is highly regarded will not spend time to really go through the steps of my surgery scheduled for this Tuesday . I am terrified I chose the wrong doctor.

Do you know a GOOD breast surgeon in NYC/NJ area?

Your advise is appreciated.

Robin

• Posted

Robin,

I am so sorry to hear this! Where do you live? ie, town? I will direct you to someone closer to your location. I know a great surgeon at Fox Chase in NJ. I am going to ask my identical twin who also had the identical breast cancer, same time, location, markers, size, everything! We went through it together and is also a nurse, but she lives and worked in NJ.

I had a partial mastectomy due to calcium and she had a lumpectomy, then radiation, and are on aromatase inhibitors.

I will call her now!

Many warm hugs!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response Juliana. I spoke to a doctor in NY this morning who said since I need to act quickly because of my pathology being "Invasive poorly differentiated ductal carcinoma" Grade 3. So her advice is to have the aggressive surgery scheduled for this Tuesday.

She made me very scared of this diagnosis.

I will need radiation and chemo too

• Posted

Are you having a modified radical mastectomy with breast reconstruction?

Are you having it done at a university medical center?

• Posted

It depends on you and your body functions. Cancers are known to come back and other issues but its highly unlikely. If in doubt, ask about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.