Recurring HSP....Could it be anything else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 10yo son was first diagnosed with hsp over 3 years ago. He presented with a rash all over his legs and butt, swollen legs and difficulty walking, and elevated white blood cells. Rhematologist tested for juvenile arthritis but it was negative and we were given the hsp diagnosis. Since being diagnosed he has about 4 to 6 flareups per year. He gets severe joint and stomach pain, and loses appetite. Luckily he has not had any renal issues yet. We had a recent er visit as he was fighting the flu and had excruciating stomach pain. We then followed up with a rhematologist who said his rash doesn't present like the normal purpura. His rash is tiny petechiae. When he has joint swelling it is always one leg and knee. Has anyone had years of recurring hsp or been diagnosed and later told it was something else?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi.  I have been wondering the same thing.  My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed 10 months ago.  She suffered from the rash, joint pain and elevated protein/blood in her urine.  The initial episode lasted 6 weeks.  Since then, every time she gets sick, she will have a flare up and her rash and joint pain comes back.  Her Nephrologist says that reoccurrence is normal up to a year, but I can't help but think that maybe something else is going on.  Or maybe, I can do something to help such as acupuncture or diet modifications.  I would love to hear from anyone who has success with alternate therapies.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.