Rehabilitation after ankle fusion

Posted , 56 users are following.

I had an ankle fusion 14 weeks ago and after 12 weeks in plaster, progressed to an aircast boot.  The surgeon told me to walk around the house without the boot from 14 weeks, so I've just started doing that,  but am finding I have lots of pain in the foot - below the toe and along the left side of my foot when I attempt to walk and roll through the foot.  Am walking with crutches now without the boot, and trying to roll through the foot as much as possible, hoping that the muscles will relax.  The hospital told me very little about what to expect at this point and haven't referred me for physio so I'm feeling a bit lost. Is this foot pain normal? (I don't have pain in the actual ankle, it's just everywhere else, including my opposite hip and knee too!).  

3 likes, 150 replies

150 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes this pain is normal and it gets better as the muscles and tendons strengthen. I'm 18 weeks and the side of my foot still hurts and my plate pinches when I rock thru, so plate will removed in one month. I walk with a cane or walker. Very slow and hurts more if I go unaided. Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Thanks, it's reassuring to know that the pain is normal and to know it gets better eventually! I've now been in contact with the hospital who told me to stay in the boot for a bit longer as it takes time for the muscles to strengthen.  I'm just surprised about how long it's going to take to get back to 'normal', and how little they tell you about this stage before you have the op.. Good luck to you too and thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

I had my operation in Nov 2016 and my cast was removed in Feb 2017. Been walking on my moon boot eversInce . Went to my doctor on the 28 April 2017. And he told me it's time to walk without the moonboot. I tried it for about 2 days Omw was it painful. I'm back in my moonboot and I don't know what todo. The pain is still there everyday, and my foot is swelling alot when I don't elivat it.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're still in your moonboot.  I spoke finally to someone at the hospital and they said to ease off the boot slowly. So have maybe one or two hours with the boot off, then have the boot on for 2 hours, etc. and slowly build up the time without the boot to let the muscles and tendons build up.  I'm trying that now - doing a couple of hours without the boot with one crutch, then putting the boot on when it gets too much.  The muscles in my foot all feel very sore but hopefully they'll get stronger.  Fingers crossed! and good luck!

• Posted

I am at the stage of walking in cam walker boot. I am going to try the shoe and no boot but I thought I would start gradual with my crutches or walker for support until it gets stronger. I know it will hurt as my plate is right up against the bone Nd won't let my foot go past 90 degrees. I will have thatout June 6 yuck, I hate the thought of surgery again but it must be done. I think the slow approach to let those muscles adjust and strengthen will be less pain but prob take a bit longer.

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Tessa,

It took me a long time to be able to stand weight on my foot.  Some of that was because of nerve damage, but as others have mentioned it also takes quite some time to just get used to it again, loosen things up, etc.

I would recommend seeing if you can get a physio referral.  They can help you understand what's normal at what stage, but also have techniques for doing it in a way that may be less painful.  And more important, they can help you in gait monitoring because if you start trying to overcompensate for the loss of ankle motion, you can mess up your knee and/or hips.   

You mentioned fusion with an internal rod.  Do you know what type/brand was used?  In my case, I have two rods for complete immobilization.  There's one vertical rod through all of tibia, talus, and calcaneous, and the other one is a horizontal rod running the length of the calcaneous and locking into/through the vertical rod).   

I bring this up because you specifically said some of the pain was when bending the foot or trying to roll through the foot.  Maybe it's just getting used to it as already covered.  But in my particular case I had a similar pain which continued fairly long term.  I went back and got xrays done when bending the foot and we found that one of the screws going through the talus had its tip sticking out just enough that it would punch into the midfoot navicular bone when trying to bend the foot.  Once the surgeon was sure the bone had fully firmed up around the rods I went back in for one more surgery to get that screw removed. 

• Posted

Sorry, I just realised that first sentence could be confusing.  It would have been better worded as, "It took me a long time to be able to tolerate weight  bearing on my foot.  "

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice. Yes I think I'll try to get a physio referral as I notice that i feel quite lopsided after so many months of being on crutches then walking with the boot, and am indeed getting knee and hip discomfort on the other side.   The foot pain is still there when I walk but it's reassuring to know that this is to be expected and will hopefully get better as things loosen up. I'll ask the surgeon to check the xrays next time I go back too.  Thanks!

• Posted

"and am indeed getting knee and hip discomfort on the other side."

Since you're just now starting to walk without the boot, I would guess this may actually be boot-related.  I was almost 2 years from the initial accident to recovery and had a boot on a lot of that time.  The height mis-match between the boot and regular shoes was part of the issue, and just the un-naturalness of the gait while in the boot.  Getting a shoe that matched the sole height of the boot helped.  

But nothing was like the day I was finally able to get rid of that darned thing forever!  :-)

• Posted

I have been in a boot for 16 weeks and agree my hip is starting to protest a little too much, forgot to mention this to the doctor on last visit. I have taken a couple of anti inflammatories which I hope will help. So looking forward to getting the boot off and being able to walk again.
    • Posted

I here you I'm 19 weeks in the boot. Chiropractor really helps with the adjustment of the hips! Yes I can't wAit to throw away the boot!!!

Margie

• Posted

Hi

I am 7 weeks in the boot and its driving me insaine i demented stuck in the house. I swear l am gonna burn the boot when l am.finished with it. I have been so depressed stuck in the house constantly. I am totally struggling with it. And l had 2 hip replacements and a knee last year and it was so much easier.

Lors

• Posted

I here you, I had many thoughts of burning the boot and still do lol. I am 20 weeks and still in the boot , but now I can drive walk with a cane I went to the bookstore and Starbucks the other day. They have lots of chairs around. It will help when you can get around better in a few weeks and you are not so house bound. Can you wb yet! I ne we thought it would be this long but ankles are the slowest to heal.

Hang in there!

Margie

• Posted

I am starting to get around a bit more, slowly slowly, and need to rest after about an hour. Yesterday I vacuumed and mopped the floors, happy with that, however not much else got done. Have made an appointment to see Chiropractor on Friday maybe he can sort my right hip out. Left ankle in boot, I am afraid to burn my boot in case I need it again. I have already had 6 operations for my dodgy ankle hope this is the last one. Work are starting to ask when I am coming back, I will go back when I am ready. I don't want to go back fall over something and be back to square one. I do get down sometimes, when you feel like that phone a friend, read the post here. If you can drive, go for a drive, you don't have to get out of the car. Go through the drivethrough at Macdonalds and order a drink or an icecream.

Have a great week everyone.

• Posted

Did you have fusion after failed replacement and what did that involve and when did you know TAR failed and how long for fusion to get better thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.