Reoccuring UTIs; the pain and symptoms are unbearable

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my 3rd UTI in 4 months and I was wondering if other people had had this disease with such consistancy and regularity. Please let me know how your symtoms made you feel and if there is a way to stop these infections from reoccuring. Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

JWrite I feel your pain.  I have made myself a promise to tell the world about my own experience in an effort to help as many other UTI suffers as I can. 

I used to suffer with UTIs every 3 weeks for years.  The doctors prescribed antibiotics every time and I am now pretty much antibiotic resistent.  I had hospital tests (both NHS and private) to try and find a cause but they revealed nothing ie all normal.

In the end, I researched the internet and discovered D Mannose.  I read the reviews and, although sceptical, I tried it and it worked!!!  Not only did it work but it actually gave me freedom for the first time in years as it reduced my attacks to one a year.  Most UTIs are caused by e-coli bacteria and D Mannose simply washes them out of your bladder.  It was a bit trial and error with regard to the dosage at first but I have finally got the dosage right for me.  Some people can take a low dose and others need a higher dose - I need a higher dose.  The biggest mistake is to not be patient.  Like antibioitics, it will take a good few doses before you feel relief but you will feel relief (for me about 5 hours later the sting eases).  D Mannose can be a bit expensive but I feel it's worth every penny and I keep a couple of tubs at home just in case.  I have also managed to find a supplier for £10 for a 50g tub instead of the usual £20.

Recently I have started taking a femine Probioitic that populates the vagina with "good bacteria" which kills the "bad bacteria" ie e-coli.  This has also given me amazing results and has acted as a preventative.  D Mannose will kick the bacteria out of your bladder and the probiotic will help prevent further attacks.  Some people actually take a daily dose of D Mannose which prevents further attacks too. The dose which works for me is 1 heaped teaspoon every 2 hours for 3 days and then reduce to 1 scoop every 3 hours for the next couple of days.  D Mannose in larger doses can cause diarrhoea but I would rather have a bit of diarrhoea for an hour or so than the shocking burning that a UTI gives you.  I have recently recommended D Mannose to two work colleagues who were really sceptical and they have both been UTI free for months and cannot stop thanking me!! 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company/website names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

JWrite - I have actually provided a long and detailed message to you yesterday but for some reason the administration at this site have held it back for checking.  I know how dreadful it can be having a UTI and that's why I responded to you asap so not very impressed that they would hold it back - there was nothing controversial in my response? 
  • Posted

Yes, I suffered  3 attacks  in 4 weeks  once. You have to find the exact bug which recurs,  as different bugs require very different antibiotics.  My hospital's favourite antibiotics are  "Trimethropine"  and  "Metrozolidine", both of which make me horribly ill !  But we're all different, so you may well tolerate them :  it's annoying the way we all react so differently.  Sadly, D-Mannose  did nothing for me, but

HIPREX  does  (Methenamine Hippurate, 1 gram x twice daily), so I now get that

on  nhs repeat prescription.  I get no side effects, & although it won't eradicate my problem entirely, it definitely gives me several months clear of  infection, (until the next  E-coli bug creeps in).  Good Luck.

• Posted

I have a family relative who has had your same condition, and after more than 2 yrs of this continuing problem, has been given a diagnosis of hyperthyroid condition, which induces ongoing UTI infections. The contributing factor, causing the thyroid problems has been due to an underlying allergy (s) causing high candida yeast growth, most likely caused by gluten intolerance. She eats a diet high in gluten and soy, and considers herself a vegetarian. Research has shown that sky also is very toxic to candida conditions, contributing to systemic spread of yeast and fungal infections, fatigue, and never ending UTI infections, Research also shiws the chronic use of antibiotic use is a huge contributory factor in systemic and gut candida yeast infections. You may want to ask for the 4 tests needed to test for low thyroid induced by candida, and allergy testing involving gluten, soy, dairy or others.
    • Posted

Correction above...the word is soy..not sky..Research has shown that 'soy' is contributory and toxic to candida yeast..which is brought in by allergies to gluten, mainly..but also repeated antibiotic use. This candida condition then can cause low thyroud, which then affects many body systems.
    • Posted

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid condition..not hyperthyroid..wish we could correct the errors without having to post again to cirrect this..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.