Reoccurring UTIs and retention?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I had a UTI last December and every since I have been getting them all the time. Also after that UTI the feeling of UTI symptoms did not fully go away. I had a general constant discomfort feeling after urinating and sometimes it would still kinda burn to urinate. This continued for a couple months and I started getting a weird sensation that urine was stuck in my urethra. After I urinate I have to sit for a bit and push a little to get the last bit out or sometimes stand up and sit back down and get that last bit out. This doesn't happen every time. Usually i'm okay in the morning but as the day progresses I have to do this. Its been this way all year ever since that UTI. My constant burning pain went away but comes back when I get another UTI and lasts for a couple weeks. It was usually after sex, but the last one I got was after my period. Does this sound like a pelvic floor dysfunction issue?

My OB wants to give my a cystoscopy to check for IC but i'm so scared to do that, im only 28 and I feel like its a bit invasive. She wont refer me to PT unless I do that. Has anyone else had these symptoms? Is it an embedded infection or could my pelvic floor be causing the peeing retaining issue. My dr said its not retaining if its less than 100cc of urine that is left. I don't think it is, its only a few drops....

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am 26 and having the same symptoms. In November I had what I thought was a UTI (I was never tested formally as it was a phone-in appointment). I had burning when I peed, pain in my abdomen, and the feeling of needing to pee all the time. Just overall pressure and discomfort. I went on antibiotics, but when they were finished, I still felt the symptoms. The exact thing you described - having to push out the pee. I got a urine test done and it came back negative. It started to improve and was overall getting better. In February, I felt the symptoms return and I went for another urine test. It came back negative again. Then in March, all of a sudden, it felt like razor blades when I peed and there was a lot of blood in my urine. I went into the hospital and they said I had a severe UTI. I am now on strong antibiotics, but my doctor ordered an ultra sound of my kidneys as well, which is happening next month. He said it might be interstitial cytisis but I am not sure. I was also having itching and aches in my vagina so I thought it might be related to yeast, but I am not sure.

• Posted

hi!

Im so sorry to hear youre going through all of that. I posted this a good bit ago and since then I got relief of my symptoms. My symptoms improved after pelvic floor therapy. They basically said that the super bad UTIs back to back led to my pelvic floor locking up and having problems releasing. After the stretching, taking muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories my symptoms went away. Crazy to think all that was caused by Pelvic floor Dysfunction. I would make sure you have all the tests to rule out anything different and if everything is negative i would bring up pelvic floor dysfunction. I hope you feel better. let me know if you have more questions! 😃

I also note that they think i have very mild IC as well and it probably flared from the UTI but since doing the PT, I have not had another flair.

• Posted

Hey,

I've had issues with UTI's/ UTI like symptoms for the past 3 months.

Around the same time each month since March this year, I have experienced your typical UTI symptoms - strong urge to urinate, burning during and after peeing, mild pelvic/bladder discomfort (and even blood in the urine for my "second" UTI in April). 2 weeks ago I experienced the same symptoms again, went to the doctor, was prescribed antibiotics (just like the previous two times) and this time they even did a urine culture - BUT, the culture was a 'negative' result, meaning there was no bacteria present - at least that's my understanding. The antibiotics always clear things up within a day or two, yet this keeps coming back around the same time each month - about 3-4 weeks after I finish the antibiotics!

I have also had the retention issue, exactly the same as you describe it. I feel like I have had this problem since I was a little girl!

Are you able to share any more on what PT exercises you were prescribed to help alleviate the discomfort? 😃

• Posted

Hey!

I am sorry you are going through all that. Believe me, I understand. Its like having a bad UTI that wont go away no matter what you do. My cultures were usually always negative as well.

Its hard to say what exercizes and stretches I did. I did a lot and i still do some today to help. My pelvic floor is so much better but i still get the occasional weird feeling...honestly its due to me holding my core in a certain way from stress and anxiety. I would look into finding a pelvic floor therapist. They will do a full evaluation and know which exercises or trigger point releases you will need. In the meantime, youtube has a lot of good pelvic floor release stretching videos. Those provided me symptom relief as well. I also took muscle relaxers for a bit to help as well. Now i only take it when i can tell things are getting tight or after sex. 😃

I also started eating a lower acid diet in case it was IC but since then I have been able to add most of everything back in. Orange juice seems to be the only thing that gives me UTI symptoms after drinking it so i just avoid it.

I hope this helps. You can private message me if you like if there are any other questions or just support. I suffered through these symptoms for a little over a year and it put me in a dark place mentally.

best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.