Repeated muscle cramps for day

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can give some possible insight on my cramping problems.

They started a week ago, two days after a very strenuous run and arm workout. I don't run a lot and the exercise really wore me out and my quads were sore for a couple days. Then I started getting cramps in my left forearm and left anterior calf muscle (above the ankle). They come multiple times in the day simultaneously for about 5-10 seconds then fade away together as well. I've tried every home remedy(massaging, hot bath, stretches) and none have affected the frequency or intensity of the cramps.

I visited a primary care doctor who drew blood to check my electrolyte levels and gave my head a ct scan, both came back normal and they wrote me a script for Flexeril which helps me sleep but does not relieve the cramping.

The next day I visited a neurologist who gave me an EEG to confirm I was not experiencing partial seizures. He then put me through some basic strength tests and confirmed I wasn't experiencing strength loss in my affected limbs and said he didn't think He referred me toanother neurologist who specializes in muscles to "make myself feel better" who I'm seeing Friday.

I've been able to rule out some scarier stuff with the CT scan and the fact that I haven't been feeling any weakness (other than soreness), or other symptoms other than the cramps themselves. Maybe it's a slipped disc? That's the only thing I've read that makes sense. This seems like too long a period for something as simple as an overworked muscle

Long story short, all the doctors I've seen haven't found anything other than overuse of muscles and long cramping. I'm hoping anyone who has experienced something similar or knows someone who has can provide any advice or insight into what's going on. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try magnesium supplements - it is the first approach in mainland Europe. You can have normal blood levels but not normal muscle levels. And eat a load of bananas and other potassium-rich foods. The same appllies there.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying! I've been taking magnesium supplements and drinking Sports drinks for almost a week now with no changes in the cramps. Do these nutrients typically take a long time to readjust in the muscles? I just feel if these were regular cramps they would have stopped by now
  • Posted

Hi Adam, muscle cramps and spasms can be both painful and part of the many signs and symptoms of fibro although not many people experience them. I have been prescribed diazepam 2mg tablets to calm my muscles down when the twitching becomes too much for me or occasionally when my muscles spasm and don't relax. I have had an MRI but now accept the muscle twitching as part of me. Sometimes my whole body feels as though it is vibrating like a car which is idling. I usually just take 2 mg diazepam but sometimes I take 4mg which I find very helpful.
  • Posted

As a kidney patient I have expereinced muscle cramps after strnuous exercise or even after stting for a long period.

Sweating a lot can lead to salt loss causing cramps so I often take extra salt. however this can raise blood pressure.

Quinine can also relieve cramps so I am prescribed quinine tablets but find drinking tonic water containing quinine at the same time makes relief much quicker that just taking the pills. So suggest asking GP to prscribe quinone sulphate tablets. I use them as required.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.