Replacement knee care

Posted , 7 users are following.

I  am shortly to undergo a PKR -  via a "FIXED BEARING UNI-COMPARTMENTAL" op - what concerns me is how rubust this will be ?

and what exactly it entails ?

Will I be able to run and jump or is it going to give way / fail in some way ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Go on youtube and find PKR and this will help with your querrie, also I think you can forget about running...sorry, I somehow thought I would be able to but not!!!
  • Posted

I recently had PKR on both knees. Doc told me no high impact but no other restrictions really. Bike riding and golf was approved but was even told to use a cart and no more walking 18 holes. You may still be able to do it but the knees may not last as long because of it. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

• Posted

I think they will advise you not to run or jump on the knee
  • Posted

if you can avoid doing it i would .running and jumping will not be happening im afraid .  sorry to have to tell you .!!  any replacements you get have the same restrictions on high impact sports  not sure how old you are but im guessing your young so get a second opinion before you decide good luck
  • Posted

This is something you really need to discuss with the consultant who is doing the operation.

My guess is that you may be able to run and jump again, depending on how old you are and why you need this operation in the first place, but I am not a medical person and it is only a guess.

I had TKR 4 years ago. I cannot run or jump but I had had previous surgery on my knees, my knee was very bad and I am 65 years old. So running and jumping days are gone for me anyway!! But I do still enjoy swimming.

Hope the operation is successful.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

After reading some of the comments on PKR's - I am starting to get concerned about my operation !!

Would I be correct in thinking that, perhaps for a 52 year old - I should be asking for a TKR instead ?

• Posted

PKR are ok IF the other 2 compartments are 100% perfect. If they are not there is a good chance that a revesion will be necessary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.