Restless legs!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have suffered on and off for many years, it has got really bad siince taking Omeprazole. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Me Julie!

I cannot take Omeprazole, or Lansoprazole,  I take Ranitidine 150mg in the early morning and can just about tolerate that.

I have found that certain drugs trigger RLS.

• Posted

Yes I get restless legs really badly and have often been awake all night just walking about ,I also get the same feelings in my arms sometimes and so cannot keep still at all, I am now suffering anxiety attacks so I had believed it was anxiety that was causing my restlessness although I gave,t really got any thing to be anxious about . I have not made the connection to Omeprazole which I have been taking daily for gastritis for many years . It is very interesting that you have discovered that link 
  • Posted

I have to take a lot of different drugs and in order to have an adequate gap between certain drugs,  I take the first lot at around 4am.  I have started to take the Ranitidine at the same time, so that if it causes problems, I am up and about when it happens.  If I need a smaller dose, I buy the over the counter version, which is 75mg.  My GP suggested trying to take the 150mg twice a day but if I take it at night, I am hyperactive and can't sleep.

Another drug that triggered RLS is Hydroxyzine - a sedating antihistamine.  I no longer need to take it but took it for 18 months before it caused a problem.

• Posted

Hi to you both 😊 Thank you for your replies. Sorry to hear you both suffer, its awful! I found it strange that my symptoms got really bad when I started the omeprazole. Have been taking it for about 7 months and the restless legs and arm are almost unbearable. Have only managed 2 nights that I have slept right through since xmas. I looked on a Rls website and it said antacids can make it worse or trigger it. I then searched for problems with ppis and a lot of people have said it worsened their symptoms! I think it has something to do with how your body absorbs vitamins and minerals as iron and magnesium deficiencies can cause restess legs. I am going to have a go at coming off the omeprazole and making more of an effort to control my gerd (I am a persistent chocaholic) by diet alone. I hope that it helps, would rather have hearburn than the itchyness. If that doesnt help I might try ranitidine, thank you mrsmop and I shall make a note about antihistamines. Shall have to let you know what happens. Marilyn, I get it in my right arm too, sometimes I dont know what to move first! Im now relegated to the spare room, wasnt fair on hubby. I dread going to bed, which I think makes it worse. Im praying for sleep as soon as my head touches the pillow and if I havent nodded off within about 15mins I know its going to be a bad night 😐. Hope you have restful nights.
    • Posted

I find that chocolate often gives me acid indigestion and also makes RLS worse. I only eat it early in the day. Try cutting it out for afew days andsee if it helps.
  • Posted

Julie, I saw an ENT doctor recently and he told me I suffered from silent reflux and prescribed Lansoprazole [which I took for a month] and Gaviscon Advance after every meal and before bed.  When I first started taking these 2 things, I slept the best I have slept for a long time.  I am having a follow up appt in a couple of weeks.  I had previously been prescribed the Ranitidine, which has fewer side effects than the ppis.  Perhaps the Gaviscon Advance might help you.  The doctor told me it was prescription only.

He also gave me a long list of food etc that I shouldn't eat/drink, such as fruit, fruit juices, chocolate, coffee, tomatoes.  I am careful with what I eat now and don't eat the acidic things in the evenings.  I happened to see an article about the way opera singers look after their voices and it was pretty much what the ENT surgeon had said.  I'll send it to you.

I had also forgotten that you should take these drugs on an empty stomach, which is why 4am is good and, on the whole,  I don't really have many problems with the Ranitidine and if I do, I stop it for a few days but keep taking the Gaviscon Advance.

I also have to take Prednisolone and other drugs, which doesn't help!

• Posted

Thank you, that's interesting reading and thank you for the advice. Bit of a viscious circle really. No sleep because of acid, take medication, the acid stops but the side effects keep you awake anyway! I'm trying lol! Head of bed is raised to the extent if I have shiny sheets I start sliding down towards the bottom! Get this acid sorted and then the rls. I will try my best with the diet too. Anything for some sleep!
  • Posted

Thank you bridle17. It will be hard not to have the chocolate, had none today. Will give it a few days see if it makes a difference. My magnesium oil spray came today too. Will use tonight and let you know if it helps 😊
  • Posted

have the apple cider vinegar and a tsp of honey in a little warm water to fix the reflux and heartburn problems, all natural stuff then you can come off the reflux tablet perhaps to find out if restless legs etc are from that particular tablet. I have heard of people taking apple cider vinegar daily, just two tspoons with one tsp honey in water daily and its fixed their problems, some many problems, no more pills for them lucky people

• Posted

Yes, you mean like for GERD?  I took it for years and my RLS has definetly grown worse.  Do you think it's related?  I just want a good night's sleep.  Right now i take Zanax (the generic) and it helps, but doesn't cure it... it simply lets me fall asleep in spite of it.  But it still awakens me about 3 or 4 a.m.  I try not to take it every night as I don't want to become dependent on it.  I take it when the next day is important... so I really need to sleep well.  
  • Posted

Hi, i had stomach pain which progressed to s+d, i foolishly took omaprozole to try and calm ny stomach then later on my father in law gave me a Lansoprazole. Never agsin! So so restless all night a certain link. It definitely didmt help my stomach either
  • Posted

I have controlled RLS with Mirapex. I took one tab of Prilosec Delayed Release and have been up awake and restless the entire night! I found this forum when I googled RLS and Prilosec. Don't take it!

• Posted

I did find that antacids react with ropinirol to make rls worse. This is a known effect but I hadn't read the leaflet thoroughly at the time

• Posted

Yep! Omeprazole took me to hell and back before I realised and stopped it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.