Results today

Posted , 3 users are following.

Once again my thyroid blood tests have come back normal. Told over the phone that B12 was high ( I get injections ever 3 months) and my ferritin level was borderline. I was not tested for T3 or T4. Can anyone suggest what my next step should be.  Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Anne:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

So I am assuming the doctor tested your TSH level.  You said it was normal, which is good except not testing for T 3 level and your T4 level makes it hard to tell if there is a problem.

What symptoms do you have?  Are you on replacement hormone?  It would help to know this.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Shelly, I had a partial thyroidectectomy about 6 years ago. I am on no medication at all. Over the years I have complained of serious tiredness, putting on weight, feeling so cold with my fingers going numb, in total feeling so bad I can't be bothered doing anything. About 3 years I had my first set of bloods checked, thyroid tests came back normal but B12 was low so I was put on injections every 3 months. This year my tiredness seems to have good worse. My eyes have got very sensitive to bright lights and I have developed vitilligo.I have also gone up 2 dress sizes. There is a history of auto immune in my family with one son with Addisons and another with Crohnes. I also have IBS and vertigo. Sounds as if I am a mess when I write it all down but the symptom that affects me the most is  feeling so cold all the time. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
    • Posted

Hello Anne:

Thanks for the information you provided.  I do talk to many on here and it helps to know a bit of your medical conditions.

Since you had a partial removal of the thyroid gland you may not be making enough T3 for your body. The thyroid makes 4 hormones T1 to T4. 

T4 is converted by way of the thyroid into useable T3.    Sometimes after the thyriodectomy the other half picks up and it seems like you are low from your symptoms.

You should have your adrenal glands tested  They can do a 24 hour urine and check for high cortisol levels.  There is some linkage to adrenal gland trouble and thyroid problems.  There is a condition called Cushing's syndrome and they can do blood tests for that.

Feeling cold is a symptom of low thyroid, along with weight gain, dry skin,brittle nails, hair loss, feeling depressed, muscle aches, no periods,  confusion/brain foggy.  There are more but these are common. 

So please ask your doctor to give you a starter dose of Levothyroxine a replacement medication for thyroid.  The doctor should be understanding  about this, and once you are on meds, it will take about 6 to 8 weeks to build a proper level.

Symptoms should go away once you build a good level. Also it is helpful to use gluten free items for IBS. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Shelly,

I know my GP will not give me any medication for my thyroid since the blood tests have come back normal. He will put me on iron for my borderline ferritin result.

Would you suggest I get a private blood test for T3 and T4 levels? 

• Posted

Hello Anne:

I would get a private test then!  

You are showing signs of low thyroid.  You may show okay on TSH but the real health of the remaining gland is not truly known unless you do the T3 and T4 levels.  DO take the iron as it helps us with thyroid problems. 

Also if it comes back okay, you can look at the adrenal gland next. 

Shelly

• Posted

Just a brief note. Always ask for the actual numbers so that you can keep track of everything yourself. He told you that your ferritin level was "borerline". You should ask him if that was the lower border level or the upper and get the actual number. A deficiency in ferritin is a crucial factor in converting T4 to T3.
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment. It was the receptionist who gave me my results, I haven't had a chance to speak to the doctor yet as he is on holiday. I am seeing him on the 27th. Before then hopefully, if I can find someone to do it, I intend to get T3 And T4 measured. Would you suggest anything else to have tested. 
    • Posted

In order to minimize your requests (so as not to irritate the doc too much) I would first get your T4, T3 and TSH. If your T3 is low then ask for Selenium, Zinc, Vit D and B12 you already have your Ferritin. These 5 vits and minerals are important for conversion of T4 to T3. If your Ferritin still says borderline ask for a remeasure so that you will know the actual number. (borderline and < some="" minimum="" or=""> some Maximum is not acceptable).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.