Rheumatoid and disability

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am waiting on a decision for disability. I have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis and depression. Was just wondering if anyone gets disability for these problems and if so was it easy to get approved?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was dis-allowed, i am now waiting on a reconsideration, though i am not holding my breathe, I have RA, I stated it exactly how it is and when i went for my appointment, the person doing the assesment asked the same questions as those on the forms. I had a lot of medical evidence to support my claim and it was still dis allowed. ( it actually stated that as i could manage to get ti and from my place of work i was capable).I hope you are awarded, i know how bad it can be.
  • Posted

Yes Janet I have RA plus fibromyalgia and APS .I get 21.80 wk at lowest rate on disability but I also get ESA .I had to leave work after been n sick for over 6mths n they couldn't offer me anything else..I was the cook. Went on job seekers for few weeks n they said I shouldn't be on that and put me onto ESA n with consultant sending notification etc I also got small bit disability which all will eventually change to PIPS.never seen anyone thou n I haven't updated them that I now have APS but don't think I would get anymore.

Suppose it's different for people who can still work

• Posted

I applied almost a year ago. Social security sent me to one of their doctors as well as a physc last month. So I'm just waiting on the final decision. At least 5 days a week I'm in bed because it just hurts too bad to attempt to get up to do anything not to mention the mental aspect of frustration because it seems like your life is just being ripped away by this disease. I'm hoping it goes thru to hopefully relieve some of the worries
    • Posted

My sister in law was the same as you.She would work a couple of days then be in bed in agony for a couple.She went on sick then when sick pay ran out applied but it took months before answered her and then had to go for medical assessment.She was awarded ESA until pension age.You have to fill huge booklet in as at your worst as you know and sometimes you are even worse than that.People see you and don't see the pain you go through mentaly as well as physically. You think friends and family would support you but you are treat like a leper as you can't do what you could.. my experience.. I can't baby sit my grandchildren and one I have never been able to hold n cuddle so I am a spare piece thrown aside.Money does help a bit but you just cry because you want to be normal again and grow old gracefully ...not have a riped from under your feet.

Please let me know how you get on and don't give up. If they refuse appeal it.

• Posted

Hello. It took 27 months to get my claim with social security approval. Applied in spring 2000 and finally in late summer 2002. I exaughsted every asset waiting. Documentation of medical history is very important. Although I became very frustrated with the process, the relief was life changing. With Medicare I was able to start treatment, have joint replacements. So hang in there!
  • Posted

I have been dis -allowed,went to reconsideration and they upheld their judgement. Just cannot go through with it all again.
  • Posted

Hello, I have RA and have had it for the past 17 years.  I just stopped working 3 years ago, I was on State Disability for 1 year, then applied for permanent, I was denied and finally approved 9/14.  I had to get an attorney and had to wait almost 2 years for a hearing before a judge, but was approved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.