Rheumatoid and Vaccines

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have RA but I manage it without and DMARDs or biologics and I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has RA who's gotten the covid vaccine, which vaccine, and has it caused you to flare? I'm really concerned about a vaccine causing my RA to flare when I've been flare-free for almost 2 years

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with RA a year ago. I've had both doses of the Moderna vaccine and other than warmth and redness at the injection site, after my 2nd dose, I've had no increase in RA symptoms. I hope that knowing this you'll feel more confident about getting the covid vaccine. I'm wondering how you control your symptoms without any type of medication or biologic? Initially, I was put on methyltrexate and had side effects. I've now been on Plaquenil for 5 months and it hasn't helped. I'd love to find relief from my many symptoms. Thanks!

• Edited

I was diagnosed with RA in January this year and so far prescribed Methyltrexate. I spoke to my consultant and a friend of mine who is a consultant in a different branch. They both said the same:

If you get Covid while suffering from RA then the symptoms of covid will be worse. The vaccine will not make you sicker (I worried about that because of Methyltrexate dampening down my immune system). What happens is that your body doesn't generate a very good immune response to the vaccine so it isnt as effective. I was advised to get both doses asap and then to get a private antibody test - if antibodies are present then the vaccine has worked!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.