Rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto's Auto immune Hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am feeling that I should self isolate for the 12 week period, as I am treated with methotrexate, which lowers my immunity. I work as a social worker for older people and am concerned about the risk of spreading the virus. I am planning to work from home - do you agree this is a sensible plan. I am conflicted as I also want to be working to support my team.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

the spread of this virus is appalling so everyone should stay home!

• Posted

Yes, it's a good plan. People who take methotrexate, thus compromising their immune systems, are in the 'at risk' group and therefore should be self-isolating, or if they have go out, social distancing.

• Posted

I am a Social Work team leader in an Adult and Older People Team. I am on 20mg Methotrexate and 50mg Etanercept and therefore in the at risk category. I understand totally the dilemma of working from home but would advise it's the correct thing to do. I have been working from home since 17th March. It has been challenging and also very lonely due to the usual highly interactive style of our jobs - now reduced to laptop and telephone interactions!. BUT it is what I know I have to do to try and limit my risk of infection and I'm making the best of a tricky situation. I hope you are well and have made the right decision for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.