Rheumatologist wants me on Alendronic Acid but frightened to go on it

Posted , 1 user is following.

My spine is a mess - I have spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, bulging discs, osteoarthritis at 3 facet joints and bilateral nerve impingement L4/L5 . Oh and I have osteopenia after being on steroids, Rheumatologist wants me on Alendronic Acid but I've been put off by someone who got osteonecrosis as a result and had to have her jaw rebuilt. Also I need dental work first - been putting it off as I'm still shielding, Meanwhile have been referred to the hospital musculoskeletal service. I may need an op.

If I do start on biphosphonates the injection would be better as I have swallowing issues but once the injection is in you, that's it.

Is anyone else avoiding Alendronic Acid? Am I being a wimp?!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

may be you should ask the doctor for more explanation about what the side effects are. some type of cost vs. benefit of using AA. i don't think you are a wimp. my guess is there are other alternatives out there for AA- for example zoledronic acid. there are studies done by NIH about ZA vs AA - google it . i will also send you a link but not sure the links will get sent around here.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3591679/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.