Right leg has been swollen for about 45 days

Posted , 2 users are following.

my right leg has been swelling up and down for about 45 days about two weeks ago it swelled up and didnt go down from elevating it this time. a week ago my right leg swelled up huge and it really hurt so i went to the ER THREE DAYS AGO they checked for blood clot infection x-RAYED my lungs about three weeks said they are clear ...

anyway the ER GAVE ME SOME ANTIBIOTIC CEPHALEXIN 500mg one by mouth every six hours i took two the first time i just doubled the script for the first day and the next day i woke up and my leg swelling was almost gone on my right leg i was so excited to see that but the next day TODAY THIS MORNING AND ALL DAYI COULD SWEAR MY LEG IS EVEN BIGGER than before and when i elevate it does nothing ... im getting scared now should i go back to the ER OR WAIT LONG ER BECAUSE THE ANTIBIOTIC HAS NOT TAKING EFFECT YET BUT I REALLY WANT TO GET THIS FIXED THANK YOU TO ALL OF You guys out there please help before my leg blows up ...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello David -

I'm a bit confused here. You doubled up on your first dose of the Cephalexen in spite of the directions?

It appears you have Lymphedema and I would check in again with your doctor or ER. Lymphedema sets up the propensiy for cellulitis which could be very painful and dangerous if left untreated. With Lymphedema, your leg can change in size and appearance, day to day. It's not odd it blew up, came back down to what appeared normal and then blew up again. If the Cephalexen isn't helping, there's a variety of other drugs that are used for a cellulitis issue with the leg. Treating a Lymphedema is difficult. Once diuretics were prescribed, however they are getting away from that treatment.

Please get another evaluation from a doctor. Your issue is confusing and hopefully the leg will just go down on it's own and you can get on with your life.

• Posted

thank you for your answer well i had to go back to the ER because the swelling was so much anyway to move forward a little after going back to ER the doctor read all the test that were done a few days earlier and she changed the antibiotics to CLINDAMYCIN

she said these are stronger this is day two swelling still there but went down very minimal hoping these will work for me i never had anything like this type of issuse before so im a little scared to be honest i hope this will go away soon thank you for all your imput.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.