Right shoulder quit working

Posted , 2 users are following.

Two months ago I woke up with a stiff feeling in my right shoulder. By mid afternoon I could no longer lift my arm and the pain was unbearable. Went to ER and they did xrays. They found stuff wrong with my neck. Long story short...two trips to ER, at least 4 to PCP, one to an ortho doctor, an MRI, and a neurologist and still no relief. The MRI was on my neck, but that's not the issue. I have one coming up on my shoulder soon. I am just wondering if this sounds at all familiar to anyone out there and what the outlook is? My husband has had to dress me, I am unable to work full days, and I cannot take care of the house or kids. I am desperate for any advice. The pain is horrible and I am unable to sleep a full night.

Thanks for reading my long winded whine session.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

What you describe sounds very familiar . Very difficult to suffer from shoulder/neck pain and no one offered any treatment or meds ? Anyone give you a soft neck brace or shoulder sling to wear for a few days to keep immobile and to take the pressure off the areas? What did the x-ray show was wrong with your neck? Any offer to send you to physical therapist?

Muscle relaxer meds or anti-inflammatories usually help. I would rest and take pressure off by a sling for shoulder... and soft neck brace for a few days to see if you feel any improvement. Sleep on your back use a neck roll under neck not a pillow...use heat or ice to combat swelling and any OTC meds for swelling. A simple resting period is important and keep shoulder in a simple sling to immobilize and rest both neck and shoulder. It can be very painful . Not sure what was advised by your doc for releif from the pain. Be especially careful not to reinjure the areas.

I have suffered injuries to shoulder and neck and in general it takes time to heal . Try to follow the suggestions described may help identify & give some relief until the exact issue is diagnosed . Rest, rest, rest very important for at least a week. Considering that you need help to dress only a x-ray of shoulder or MRI could identify the injury.

I have suffered from disc issues in my neck and a rotator cuff injury in my shoulders for years. I have learned 'Mindfulness' in movements daily. It's pre thinking about movements pre planning and aware of heeling time for rest and meds ,ice as treatment. Keep in mind certain movements can be a trigger to start a flare. Sending healing vibes your way.

• Edited

The x-ray and neck MRI showed degenerative discs and narrowing. Neurologist says its not severe enough and narrowing is on the left side and would not bother the right side. I have been evaluated by a physical therapist and have a second session coming up. She did state she doesn't know how much she can do. Please....any ideas??? I miss my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.