Right side pain under ribs no gallbladder

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello guys, i don't really know where to start so ill make it short;

Had my gallbladder removed 2/3 years ago

Recently had similar pain under my ribs radiating into my back and shoulder right side and really tender to touch and cant lay on my right side either as they both make me wince.

Recently had bloods and CT Scan and all results normal and GP just gave me pain medication.

Can anyone reccomend what it might be or what i should do.. I'm pretty desperate!

THANK YOU

Charlotte D - UK .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

morning, could be a number of things but something quite common after gallbladder removal is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. ask your doctor about it and have a read, symptoms are very alike

• Posted

Good morning, and thank you for your reply. i have heard about this, is their anyway to cure it? My consultant did mention it too, but he said if it was a spasm it wasnt showing on the CT.

• Posted

Sometimes having your gallbladder out can lead to more complications Maybe it is neuralgia as a result of the surgery. You may need to change your diet since you have no gallbladder and avoid or reduce fatty foods. Maybe you have a gallstone stuck in your bile duct. It could be any number of things. Your best bet is to see your doctor to get answers. Ask for an abdominal ultrasound.

• Posted

hi pippa, they found nothing in the CT scan so im not sure if its a spasm or inflamed scar tissue. i didnt sleep too much due to the pain last night and today its worse probabaly due to exhaustion

• Posted

Ask for an abdominal ultrasound which is a different type of scan to a CT. It might show up inflamed scar tissue.

• Posted

i had exactly same thing....gullbladder removed 3 years prior, got same pain back at first, supposedly normal according to doctor. did disappear r for awhile.Came back! Ended up with very mushy stools.didnt matter what i ate or did. told me i had IbS? Did my own reasearch.....asked for a prescription from my doctor for cholestyramine resin. it comes in pouches you mix with water. took it every day for 2 weeks..2 packs a day fir a week then one. .noticed a difference in my stools......then i took a good 50 billion probiotic that you had to keep in fridge, 1 pill a day. get fora critical care 50 billion or renew life, 50 billion Within 2 weeks of taking both, gone, never to return.it h as been a year and i still faithfully take the probiotic. had a colonoscopy that i had been waiting to get for 4 months.told my gastro doctor on the way into my procedure that it was gone and he wanted to know what i did. he wrote down the name of the medicine and was surpised what i did. all i can say it changed my life as i couldnt go out to eat anything without being near a bathroom. try it, it might work for you too. let me know how you make out.if your doctor says it wont work, which mine did, insist on it, wont cause any problems if you do. if you start to get constipated then stop taking it.good luck! nancy

• Posted

they for some reason wouldnt post my reply. too bad as it cured me. maybe they will eventually let it through. get FLORA 50 bilion probiotics and cholestraymine on perscription.cured me in a month...hope you get my first reply....

• Posted

i got your reply hun, i do have IBS, but im also on anti-depressants which make your stool mushy and watery so i cant stop that with medication. however i do have costocol sashe you put in a drink and mebeverine but i cant get into a routine which im trying lol

• Posted

i read the write ups on the med u r trying to take but it isnt the same. see ifyou can get the cholestyramine... ask your doctor, may be you can take both.good luck! IbS IS THE NEW problem any more. if they dont really know what is wrong they label you IBS! cant hurt to try, as it can constipate you!

• Posted

hi i know this was posted 2 yrs ago but did you ever get any answers / cure. i had my GB removed 3 years ago now have pain and discomfort in right ribs. it we t away for 3 months but now back. cant lie on right side. ultrasound showed nothing.

• Posted

hi did you ever get any answers? have exact same problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.