Ripping time

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi all

feeling a bit fed up (as we do)

i am 11 weeks was feeling pretty good, but then started to think about how my knee was actually feeling and looking.

i have a lovely keloid scar which look wise doesn't really bother me but when I bend my knee I am still getting that ripping plaster or sharp pins feeling all on top of my knee.

does anyone else get this still at nearly 3 months.  I use bio oil daily but feel that this ripping feeling has not changed since day one.

Also I feel my knee is not as painful but it has this strong spring robotic feel to it , 

how does yours feel if you can separate the pain and the motion.

thanks. Sue x 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan. I also have that springy robotic feel to my knee.  I'm about 18 weeks post op. My scar also feels tight and indented.  My physio said it's because the scar has healed very well and muscle underneath still needs to be built up to bring the scar up to level if you know what I meant.  I've just returned from holiday and done the airports and walks to beach (10 min+) and it feels like it's gone back a month.  I'm due back at work next Tuesday, and dreading it!  X
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I am 14wks post TKR I have that feeling and had it for some time it's also feels very hard when you touch it it. It's scar tissue that is causing it I had MUA also 4 weeks ago to try and break it down but still only have a bend of 65degrees.. I don't feel pain so much at times but it feels like an elastic ready to snap at times when I bend it, it's the most awful feeling.

You need to persist with the massaging to try and break it down you could also use a tennis ball to roll over it with a bit of force to try and break it down.

If you feel like it's not working see your surgeon again there is a bit of a skill in massaging it as your trying to break down the scar tissue your physio should be able to show you and should assist with doing it.

You will continue to have that until it's broken down, continue the massaging and exercises as it will help but unfortunately it takes time but you'll get there, that's what they are telling me..

Positive thoughts..

• Posted

Compared to the bone on bone "I can't walk" feeling, he new improved knee feels great.  There is some pain still and my guess is that this is just the body tissues trying to adhere and adjust to the prosthesis.   Those tendons and muscles aren't new.  They're as old as my gray hair (and I'm 57 ha ha).  I am just about 6 months out.  It is steadily improving.  I'm truly thankful for this as there was a very good chance that I  wouldn't get it.  Best of luck Susan and I hope in time you and your new knee reconcile and start dating again.
  • Posted

I have to say my knees (18 weeks post op bilateral TKR) do feel somewhat bionic. I was riding my bike outside today and could ped straight up the hill without lowering the gear or weaving as I had before the surgery. My walking still has a little limp...though improving. So starting to see some positive!
  • Posted

Sue, I am 17 weeks post TKR and had manipulation 5/4/15. The good news is today I got to 124 today from 62 that I was after surgery prior to manipulation . The bad news is I keloid too, and have that tingly feeling and not sure what to put on it. I live in U.S. I'd love to hear what would help the scar. I'm over the moon to be able to move my knee though smile
  • Posted

Hi Susan. I spoke to my surgeon at 6 wks about my disappointment with my scars, particularly on my left knee, which is quite stretched looking, or "wormy looking" as someone else on here so cleverly called it.  My scars are perfect below the knee and crap above. Doc said this was because I had such fantastic bend immediately post op and this had put stretching pressure on the wound. His comment, "what would you prefer, beautiful scars with poor knee bend, or the great movement you have achieved". This put it in perspective.  He said the scars were healthy, and I needed to give the wound more time to heal internally. Remember this is a major surgical wound and a major trauma your knee has been through. Could take a good 6 months. advised to just keep up the massage to assist the healing process.  The scar and the odd new sounds of the new knees are definitely more bearable than the previous agony.....we just have to keep reminding ourselves of this.   Not always easy I know.  
    • Posted

My double TKR are 18 weeks post op. I had a great bend very early. At 2 weeks I had 118' and 120'. Now about 130' and132'. My scars looked like ugly worms. They looked great by 8 weeks. I think what helped mine so much was daily scar massage and laser treatments by the PT 3x a week.
  • Posted

I'm nearly 16 weeks post op and still get funny ripping sensation around scar. I also seem to have days when pain has diminished from one area around knee and moved to a different spot!  I'm also starting to experience sharp little pains as if the nerves are knitting back today and I'm sure some of my numbness is going. I'll be glad when there's no pain at all and I can walk normally without thinking about it all the time!

I've used bio oil since scar healed over and also vitamin E oil (just bought capsules and cut a couple open!). A friend also told me about Doublebase gel - this contains liquid paraffin - I rubbed it all around knee area and on scar - it really seems to loosen up any tightness. It's available from many places! I've  had new knee cap and metal bit behind it - can't say I feel it much, bit I know there is something different in there. It does feel heavy though and I've got same scar as everyone else! 

• Posted

Seems everyone is different . . don't have either the robotic feel or the pain in the scar . . I suppose you have been massaging it daily to avoid it adhering to the tissue underneath?  that's the only thing I can think of, that it has somehow grown together with the underlying flesh and therefore doesn't bend as well as it should?  the skin over my knee is very moveable . . I can push it around easily . . is yours like that. or more solid?  Hope it improves for you!  I wouldn't have thought it should be like that at  11 weeks, but there are so many differences between people!  Same op, very different reactions!
  • Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago so it is difficult to remember what I was like at your stage.

All I can really say is that it does get better.

They said to me it wuld be about a year before I began to feel benefit of TKR and I reckon that was about right for me.

Keep up the physio exercises.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Hi all

as usuall thanks for your replies

its always good to get a comparison good or bad. 

It it seems such a long time waiting for the tide to change ,!

i really am grateful to everyone, and know I would surely have found it very difficult without you,

some people don't want to know and prefer to let the healing be what it is.

im afraid I'm a worrier !    And would otherwise be a depressed soul without this site.

i like to have as much information as possible, if only to convince everyone else as much as me !!!! Lol

anyway my achievement now at 11 weeks is being on my legs each day and yesterday no medication, still feel the knee with its moan and groans of healing, but I'm not frightened of "the knee" anymore. Lol

sue x 

• Posted

18 was post op bilateral. Playing golf, great bend, can squat down, and do much more. But, knee still gets stiff. I walk it off. I have great days and not so great days, but no bad days. It keeps getting better. I think 6 months and

a year will be great bench marks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.