Rituximab

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have severe rheumatoid arthritis & have recently been treated for the second time by an iv infusion of Rituximab.

This last time on the day after I felt totally hyper and as if all my nerves were jumping & twitching. Thankfully it only lasted one day.

Have anyone else on this drug experienced this side effect?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have never taken Rituximab, but I gather that with all the biologics drugs people tend to have reactions quite different from one another and often different at different times.

I took Actemra and had a curious maroon skin coloration around my eyes that lasted about ten days and then went away. The effect of the drug on my joints, though, was near mirculous and lasted three months. I also have  RA.

• Posted

Hello Ourkid,

Sorry I haven't an answer for you.  I've had RA for years and I haven't heard of this drug.  What exactly is it supposed to do exactly?  Sorry I'm no help!!

• Posted

I should have made it clear, in case you didn't know, that Rituximab is one of a series of drugs, called the biologics group of drugs, that target RA as well as other conditions and involve at least one and sometimes more day-patient infusions. They dffer radically from the NSAIDs which are the more usual, much less expensive, treatment for RA.

Rituximab is one, Actemra is one, Humira is one.... there are many and they all differ slightly. They are known to have a relatively high percentage of side effects and need to be used under close observation.

The question I'd ask after your one day of hyper activity is: How do you feel now?

• Posted

Thanks so much Light.  Probably wouldn't do much for me.  I'm not in the acute stage now.  All my joints are badly damaged. But no inflamation.  It's good to know all these things.

Thanks so much. 

• Posted

Hi read The Road Back Foundation you can goole it. I have been on the treatment 6 yrs.
  • Posted

Just started my first infusion.no twitching or anything just zonked out and legs like lead.wish you well
  • Posted

Hi ourkid, sorry I am not able to help at the moment as I am due my first IV of Rituximab next Wednesday, but it has helped reading your discussion.  Thankyou
    • Posted

Hi read The Road Back Foundation you can google it. I have been on the treatment 6yrs
  • Posted

Hi read The Road Back Foundation it may interest you. I have been on the treatment for 6 years.  
  • Posted

Hi read The Road Back Foundation it may interest you. Google it I have been on the treatment 6 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.