Rotator cuff tear surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having pain in my shoulder for 4 years due to a rotator cuff tear. I have booked to do surgery now. Surgeon said 80% success rate if everything go well. I am 62 years old. My doctor said the surgery is too risky and just learn to live with it. However, another doctor said it is worth taking the risk. Is it worth taking the risk at my age? I am otherwise well and enjoy playing tennis. I play tennis now (with some pain), but the surgeon said after sometime I will not be able to play tennis.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Did you have an MRI? Try to find out more details about the tear, i.e. small, medium, large or massive. One or more tendons torn? I am 59 and had a chronic tear. I was also told 80% success rate. Guess I am in the unlucky 20%. When it is an old injury the tendon can be in poor condition, may have retracted and the muscle could have atrophied. All of this should be reported in an MRI. These can lead to the sutures pulling out. Get as much info as you can and research it on the internet. It's a long and painful recovery whether it's a success or failure. Also ask what happens if it fails. If I knew I might be in worse shape than before the surgery I might have thought twice. I would also suggest a second surgical opinion. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much for your help. I saw the surgeon today and was able to ask all the right questions. He had the MRI results, and my tear was medium size. He also explained what steps can be taken if it fails. It was a good question to ask. I have booked for the surgery next week, and hoping for the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.