Ruptured achilles 3 weeks in

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi ive posted before i am going down the non surgery route so far been in boot for 3 weeks non weight bearing . The so,e of my foot is numb is this normal ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had that two I'm afraid. I was told it was nerve damage due to swelling round the tendon injusry and ankle. My injury was 10 months ago, age 65, and the ball of the foot is still a bit numb. It takes forever (it seems) to get through this one. The other unexpected problem has been calf muscle wasting. The tendon is fine and strong now, but the muscle still makes walking a bit uncomfortable for anything more than 3 or 4 miles. As soon as you get to the partial weight bearing stage, and you can take the boot off with the leg up, I started exercise, pushing against bungee cords by flexing the ankle. Starting very gently it seemed to help get back some functioning. But check first with your consultant / physio just in case!!!
  • Posted

Allison. I started balancing on my boot after 2 weeks and then weight bearing after 3 and walking with the boot after 4. My heel was painful, but the more you do in your boot (that protects the achilles) the better as it gets your leg and calf muscles working a bit. That will help when you are out of your boot. Keep cheerful and positive.
  • Posted

Allison. I started balancing on my boot after 2 weeks and then weight bearing after 3 and walking with the boot after 4. My heel was painful, but the more you do in your boot (that protects the achilles) the better as it gets your leg and calf muscles working a bit. That will help when you are out of your boot. Keep cheerful and positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.