Safe application, do you wear gloves?!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Now that I'm applying the clob properly ie massaging it in for 90 seconds, it occurs to me to ask whether massaging it in with my finger will cause problems ie through absorption through fingers?  Do you wear a finger stall or a glove or something?!  Or is that just too weird!  Best wishes, Jo

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not a daft question I wonder that too. I always obviously wash before and after but do wonder if that is enough.
  • Posted

That's a good question jo, I am new to this but I too have wondered if the steroid is absorbed into fingers when rubbing in for for any length of time before washing hands and if it leaves any effect. Maybe long time users can tell us if there has been any adverse effects on fingers after regular use. I have thought about those disposable lightweight gloves but I think it could make the steroid more dificult to manage.
  • Posted

I want to know too!  I have been worried about it and wash my hands extensively afterwards.
  • Posted

hi Jo,when i worked in social sevices,we were not allowed to apply steroid cream without gloves on,to our patients,then a few months later we were told NOT to apply it at all,as it thins the skin,Not sure if this still stands as i`ve not worked for 17 years,and policies change all the time as does the steroids strength
  • Posted

I just assumed washing afterward took care of any left on your hands.... yes that is good question.  Dr. G says to rub in for 90 sec...do you rub 90 sec in each place ?  I have at least 6 areas.  
  • Posted

I've been applying it since 2009 and my finger is just fine. Wish I could say the same for where I'm applying it!
    • Posted

Good answer, Deb. I've seen a chart of different absorption levels of topical steroids depending on the body part.

Eyelids 30%

Face 7%

Armpits 4%

Forearms1%

Palms 1%

Soles of feet .05%

Genitals 30%

So, the reason we rub it in is because only 30 % is absorbed.

The palms and soles have very thick skin, so it's not a big worry.

• Posted

Don't we all deb. Well if you are fine after several years of using the steroid ,I think I can assume I don't need to concern myself too much as long as I wash my hands well. Perhaps it needs to remain on fingers for a longer length of time to penetrate the skin on fingers. I will have to make sure I was my hands well after using the steroid.
    • Posted

Thank you Morrell - this is really helpful and reassuring too.  Best wishes, J.
    • Posted

This made me smile - lovely shared dark humour! 
    • Posted

20 years for me and if I have learnt anything it is to make sure to use enough. No concerns with damage to skin! 
    • Posted

Not being familiar with the various treatments Kathleen, have you used Dermovate and is Advantan as potent as Dermovate?

I have been prescribed cream but others prefer the ointment.

The cream is a lot thicker than I expected and I am getting it all over the place.

It's consistency is thick and heavy a bit like Aquaphor.

I am wondering what consistency the ointment is and whether the ointment is more manageable than the cream.

If it is easier to apply I am going to ask for the ointment.

It's all a bit hit and miss at the moment.

• Posted

Advantage fatty ointment is very manageable and easy to apply. I think I used the dermovate many years ago.

Advantan fatty ointment is one level down as far as potency is concerned.

I use as much as I need to cover everywhere well.

• Posted

Dr. Goldstein says in his presentation that the ointment is absorbed better. Some women react adversely to the extra ingredients in the cream.
    • Posted

Hiya Morrell, I have seen bits of his presentation although I do intend to watch all of it. I have been prescribed cream and used it 3 times without any ill effects as yet but it's impossible to get it where it has to go without getting it everywhere. It's harder than threading a needle.I've read two  reasons given for using either cream or ointment. Ointment for genitals and cream for other parts of body. Another report said cream for moist areas and ointment for dry areas. Well I'm bound to get part of that recommendation right because it is getting everwhere at the moment. I need more practise.
    • Posted

I don't know... it sounds like you've got an awful lot on your finger. Or you're trying to be more precise than is possible.
    • Posted

I was initially given creme and now have ointment. It's much easier to be precise with the ointment. I found the creme didn't absorb and thus travelled. 
    • Posted

I  am a bit sheepish about using it just yet so I think I am probably not using enough and fiddling about too much trying to be too exacting with it.
    • Posted

That's what I am thinking Ellef, I did request ointment with my meeting with consultant and he said I could tell my doctor which one I want but the prescription came through as cream. Will be seeing my doctor Tuesday so will ask for cream to be altered to ointment and hopefully I will find the ointment easier to manipulate.
    • Posted

My pharmacist was willing to sell me ointment, then she typed the fact that I requested it on the label.
    • Posted

Hi Morrell, I don't think the pharmacies here would do that. Going doc's tomorrow, I don't expect to have a problem changing the prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.