safeguarding

Posted , 4 users are following.

my mother in law has been given paracetamol early in fact an hour early, i notified the agency and despite this they gave it an hour early again.  she is elderly and has loads of health problems.  Her social worker notified the safeguearding team and they have said its not a safeguarding issue.  I wonder does she have to die from a paracetamol overdose before it is a safeguarding issue

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would ring nhs help line 111 they are good on there
    • Posted

Do you really think that? I find them totally useless and their usual answer is to take a paracetamol.

I phoned them during the night two days after coming home from heart surgery about a pain in my chest that I thought was fluid in my chest.. They told me to take two paracetamol. I said that I had taken my allowance for the day.

They said they would get an on call doctor to see me. They then phoned back to say that there was only one doctor on call in East Sussex and he was busy and miles away.

I phoned 999 they sent a paramedic who agreed with my diagnosis and I was taken to hospital to have a tube inserted in my chest to drain it and kept in for two days.

• Posted

Hi Hazel

You say your mother in law has been given her paracetamol an hour early and then you talk about overdose.. Is she being given extra paracetamol and hour early or just her normal dose?

• Posted

her normal dose an hour early costitutes an overdose to the system as her liver is not able to safetly metabolise the early dose,  The continuem line is therefore distorted and two doses are in the system at once. So for all some people think that paracetamol is safe as long as you dont get more than 4g in a 24 hour period, if it is given in early intervals of 4 hour spacing it is classed as an overdose to the system and in the elderly especially with end organ damage their sytem cannot cope with it and they become seriously unwell,  which she did.
  • Posted

OOh wow I didnt know that..

I hope you can get things sorted Hazel..

• Posted

thankyou,  social services have now decided that they are going to investigate it as I asked them to confirm in writing that they werent going to treat as a safeguarding issue. So a good result.  Just want to stop it happening to anyone else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.