Salofalk vs Canasa--are they the same?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I have used brand name Canasa suppositories for ulcerative proctitis for the last 5 years. It's worked like a charm. No bleeding, diarrhea or any truly intrusive symptoms. I kept in remission using it 2-3 x a week. Maybe 4x if I ate like garbage.

In September, 2019 I started with the generic mesalamine . By October I was using the suppositories 6x a week, got joint pain so bad I was screaming, and burning, contact dermititis at the exit.

My insurance (US) isn't covering the brand name Canasa any more. But I can get the brand name Salofalk from Canada inexpensively. Both are made by Allergan.

The brand name Canasa has "hard fat" listed as a filler. This is rapeseed oil and canola oil. The Salofalk has "Witepsol H-15" listed as the filler. I think this is also a hard fat.

Does anyone know if they are meaningful differences between them?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I have no idea but I use the salofalk suppositories and have found them to be brilliant, first time out of flare in nearly a year, I tried the foam but no joy, I hope it works for you as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.