sarcoidosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 51 year old man diagnosed with sarcoidosis , it all started with a little red spot on my nose which gradually got bigger over a period of time ( eventually became a big red lump all over my nose to the point where my nose looked hideous ) , eventually got referred to a local hospital where a after blood tests , chest x rays and a biopsy confirmed it was sarcoidsis - apart from the redness on my nose and and a few white lumps on Lungs that is all I have - just had a recent x ray and the lumps on the lungs have all cleared - so just have the red Nose - I was prescribed prednisone , which got rid of the lump on my nose but it is still very red ! Is there any treatment I can take for this - most people agree that sarcoidosis seems to be a attack on the immune system - is there any good antibiotics that may help ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jas

Sarcoid is not an attack on the immune system. Thus antibiotics will not help.

It is in fact when the immune system in the form of white blood cells become over active and try to do to good a job.

These over active white blood cells then attack good healthy tissue in our bodies mistakenly taking them for foreign bodies.

Hope the nose works out well for you.

Tangles

• Posted

Hi , thanks for replying and further clarity on sarcoidosis , if not antibiotics what can I use that may help me ( with my red nose ) I've used steroids and I know prolonged use of these can be detrimental ! Any help will be appreciated !
    • Posted

Hi Jas

Prolonged use of steroids is as you say unhealthy for us. In the case of Sarcoid the only treatment available to us is the prolonged use of steroids.

Dose not leave us with a lot of room to move, does it.

In the case of your nose, I would be seeking medical advise from your consulting doctors as they are the ones familiar with your case. Anything I might say would only be guess work and may in fact be harmful.

Hope it all works out OK for you

Regards

Tangles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.