Scalp folliculitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys...just thought id share my current nightmare with you guys and possibly coming to a solution

so iv been diagnosed with folliculitis...its huge pimples at the lower back of my scalp...iv had this condition for the past 10 years....it seems to be on and off... sometimes not a single pimple for 2 weeks...and then suddenly 2 or 3 pop up...i acknowledge that it could of started frok an haircut

So orally i have been on many antibiotics which are tetralysal... doxycycline ... macropen and trimethoprim... Topically i have used fusidic acid and steroid creams....

Nothing seems to have cured this... steroid creams seem to keep it down though...also another thing that i cant understand is that i did 2 cultures and both didn't grow any bacteria...is there anyone that has experienced the same nightmare

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justinos.

Yes I have had the same problem as you for years now only over my entire scalp.

Folliculitis and been the bane of my life, the spots/pimples never go away.

I can tell you that I have used antibiotics, Hypoallergenic shampoos, creams and scalp applications even accentual oils nothing seems to work I do use Polytar shampoo though it smells medical.

This past month my GP put me on Diprosalic Scalp Application which is Cutaneous solution, Betamethasone Salicylic acid, use anytime. Plus Savlon antiseptic cream, Cetrimide, Clorhexidene Digluconate at night. He said if it came back again he will do a biopsy. After a few days I had relief.

Though at this moment I have very tiny pimples threatening just under the skin but no pain or discomfort. Which is a real relief. Fingers crossed!

Years ago I thought my problem was to do with eating processed foods. So changed my diet to fresh fruit and veg and no sugar at all, but they still appear. I think I could well be stuck with this for life. There has to be a reason for this problem?

Hope this is of some help to you.

Pat

• Posted

Thanks so much for your advice...bethamethasone is a steroid application...it also did work for me...but the moment i stop the pimples come back....have u tried cutting out gluten from your diet

• Posted

Hi Justinos.

Yes, I have been Gluten and dairy intolerant for some years. Stopping Gluten and dairy made me feel a lot better in myself but it has not made any difference to these pimples.

I don't buy processed foods including gluten free stuff on the shelves and I don't touch alcohol.

I found folliculitis gave me a painful and sore scalp. Very difficult not to scratch/pick the pimples. It can damage that area on the scalp and the hair won't grow back.

I feel I'm stuck with it. Sorry not to be of much help to you!

Have a good day.

Pat

• Posted

Thanks so much...yeah i have never been on a diet where by i cut out those things..im gonna give it a try and see what happens...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.