Scared, bruising randomly and easily

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 22-year-old male and about three days ago I noticed a few bruises on my body, which were relatively small but I think that I rarely bruise so they caught my eye. In the days since I've bumped myself twice and bruises have formed. What's more alarming is that there's sort of a large bruised area, although kind of faint, that I am noticing this morning and I doubt that I had it yesterday. It seems so have formed overnight! 

I'm terrified of leukemia. I don't think I have any other symptoms besides these random bruises. I DID take fish oil pills (1000mg twice a day, with 300mg per pill that included the "good fats"wink. I've since stopped because I heard this could lead to bruising -- what concerns me is that I think I used to take the same amount of oil about a year ago and I don't recall ever having been easily bruised. I started it back up a few months ago -- could this lead to easily bruising? How long should I give it before I go to the doctor? What should I watch out for? If it is the fish oil, how long might it be until the bruising stops?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I too have had problems with severe bruising with unknown cause. Three times I have had large bruising on inner and outer thighs. All three times the bruises were bigger in size than a large mango yet I do not recall bumping into anything that could account for the bruising. I also take fish oil pills and have for over two decades. I personally don't feel that the fish oil would be the cause of the bruising. I am Rh- and was just diagnosed with CVID. Trying to find out if there is any correlation. Hope this might help you. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi dim67931

I can understand your concern about bruising. It may be nothing at all. The first thing to do Is to see your doc and have blood take to check full blood count especially platelet count. Bruising and bleeding increases when platelets are in short supply. If the count is low your doctor, or hematologist might investigate further. A bone Marrow sample may be called for.

Try not to worry

Regards.

Dave

• Posted

Hi - been in the same position myself, once I notice a few new bruises that I don't remember getting, suddenly there are bruises everywhere! And it was never anything more than that, just an awareness issue! almost certainly that is all yours are, too. Are you very active or in sports activities?

But just in case, get a CBC (complete blood count) next time you visit your GP. Leukemia is a very (very) distant possibility, but you might as well be sure not. Leukemic contusions are dramatic, severe, and show up suddenly. And there would be other symptoms - so please, try to relax on that point. There are other less-serious reasons for easy bruising, including some dietary deficiencies and medications that reduce clotting and can lead to more bruising (aspirin is one of these).

best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.