Scared of eating because i am not enjoying food anymore. HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

With food ive always loved it. Always loved eating watch cooking shows. Everything. But now when i see food i feel sick, or before i eat i get super anxious. I think its because my acid reflux was so bad it made me like this. Im just so scared it wont go back to normal. Where i will have to eat just to sustain life not to enjoy what i have. I dont know if that is in my head or its my body. Also ive been loosing weight and it scares me because im thinking the foods that i am eating clearly are not being absorbed. I think. Im just so scared and want to enjoy food and loose weight on my terms not because i fear being sick or fear that i wont enjoy food anymore. im always into quick fixes i dont know if this will take a long time to fix im just scared

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you're experiencing. Things like fear of vomiting / eating as a result of acid reflux are more common than people might think, so I'd definitely recommend speaking to your GP to chat this through with them. It would be also worth exploring with your GP why you are experiencing acid reflux in the first place as there are plenty of things they can recommend.

If as a result of this you are eating less, then you will lose weight as you have a calorie deficit, so it's worth exploring with your GP how you can manage this better i.e. if this has made you underweight, how to go about gaining it back. They might recommend a dietitian to help with this.

Whilst I'm not a qualified health professional, it does sound like this is more of a psychological issue than a physiological one. A type of therapy like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) would help a lot with what you're experiencing as this helps provide you with the tools to change unhelpful behaviours - it sounds like you have become fearful about the impact of acid reflux and that by not eating much you don't have to deal with the issue of acid reflux. Many places now allow for self-referral to their wellbeing services, so have a search for your local NHS mental health trust and visit their website to see if self-referral is an option. If not, your GP will be able to make a referral for you.

It's important to seek support for this as soon as possible as it is a lot easier to correct unhelpful behaviours in their early stages before they become ingrained. That said, it is still possible to alter things like this even if they have been going on a while, you'll just have to work harder!

It sounds like there are a few things to explore with your GP, so I would recommend asking for a double appointment to ensure you are able to cover everything you need. Before you attend your appointment, make a list of the issues you want to cover, and what you want to gain from your appointment.

I hope this is helpful - unfortunately this website isn't managed by health professionals so any advice from here is based on personal opinions and isn't a substitute for getting professional help.

• Posted

Hi Jade,

You have just described me. I used to love food but now, whether due to anxiety, being sick phobia or acid reflux, I worry about food and am losing weight unintentionally. I would love to happily enjoy food like I used to and the idea that I'll always fear it terrifies me.

I wish I could help. I just make sure I eat slowly, even when I don't feel like it and plan my meals so I feel a bit reassured that I know I'm eating and doing good for myself. I don't think these worries will be fixed overnight so try to be kind to yourself and patient.

• Posted

Hello,<br />

I have experienced this phase once and it was really hard. I don't know the reason of yours but i was going through hell when i got this feelings,then someone suggested me to follow <a href="https://getlinkedup.blogspot.com/2019/06/10-healthy-juices.html?m=1">healthy juices </a>to stay healthy. so i tried that and felt somehow good. you should take healthy juices and stay bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.