Scared of methroxate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I've been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis disease , I started 7.5 mg of methroxate, I'm so worried about side effects and looking my hair !

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi alice88959.

I fully get your fears!

I was diagnosed last October and started on methotrexate. The entire diagnosis is shocking and scary. The majority of what you will read online is negative! That being said, there are tons of people out there with this that have it controlled and are living their lives ..biggrin I can tell you , 7.5mg is a low dose and I have done petty well on it.smile I feel a little tired on it the day after I take it, but after the first few weeks that went away. 

Were you started on anything else or just the methotrexate at this point? Are you in the US or UK?

Please keep in touch and I wish you the best...smile

TC

• Posted

Hiya

I'm in Cork in Ireland !! I think why I'm so traumatised is because I'm 43 !! And my hobby is karate !! Started my treatment last night and so far so good , no nausea , Im on steroids also and am terrified of putting up weight ! I know that shallow but I'm slim by effort lol and want to stay that way ,

• Posted

Sorry forgot to say my biggest gear is loosing my hair ! Had this happened to you ,
  • Posted

Sorry forgot to say my biggest g

Fear is loosing my hair ! Hasthis happened to you , ??

• Posted

Hello Alice,

Methotrexate is quite a harsh drug, but I think some people tolerate it better than others, but it's unpredictable, so your fears are understandable.

Basically, you won't know until you know how it's going to affect you, which isn't very helpful.  At that dose, which is low, side effects should be minimised, but it's impossible to say.  And even if you do get side effects, you then need to weigh up the benefit to the condition it's treating against the side effects it's giving you.

Do make sure you are taking at least 5mg folic acid every day you're not taking the meth, which will help with any sickness.  I found that certain initial side effects (acne, sickness) did pass after 2 or 3 months. However I did have continued side effects with joint pain, muscle pain and fatigue, swollen glands, abscess, and I have to say, hair loss.  This was quite a clincher for me too - I didn't form bald patches but my hair (and skin) became dull and brittle and would not grow and just kept breaking.  I was only on 5mg - my consultant would laugh at me and tell me that was the dose she gave to her little old ladies.  After 6 months she agreed that the side effects were not worth the treatment, not that I'm left with much option for treating the original complaint! (which is vasculitis).

What does of steroids are you on?

x

• Posted

Hi Clare

Thanks for that

I'm on deltacorteil , 10mg a day , I started my first mx last wknd !

Slight stomach pain that lastest an hour , next day I was like someone on ecstasy tablets , I was wired , today I have brain fog!

Am worried being on steroids everyday

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.