sciatica....its so painful!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Matron. Since I have had the bladder op I have had sciatica in my lower back and right bum cheek and right leg.Sometimes my right leg gives way and I have back pain especially when driving.My doc gave me codeine but I dont want to take them unless I have to. Also is itnormal to have pain in the left lower abdominal ares cos I also have diverticulitis as well! I am thinking of asking for some physio.....What do you think please...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The main cause of sciatica or back pain following prolapse surgery is due to the position you were put in for the operation. Your legs are placed in lithotomy poles to enable the surgeon to see what he's doing. That and the hard surface of the operating table do us no favours unfortunately. It's very possible that's the cause. What confuses ladies is that they don't initially complain of the pain straight away so they don't associate it with the operation. Another cause for the sciatica could be due to the internal sutures or possibly one suture tightening the sciatic nerve. The lower abdominal pain is likely to be due to the healing of the pelvic floor muscles. If you take codeine take paracetamol with it as it helps the codeine to work. You can also take an anti inflammatory as well. That would help reduce the inflammation of the sciatic nerve and you can take paracetamol with that as well.
  • Posted

Do you mean something like Ibuprofen Matron? What do you think about the physio option?
    • Posted

Yes ibuprofen. There is an exercise you can do yourself at home that will help the sciatica. Lie on your side at the edge of your bed, the opposite side to the painful leg. Hang the painful leg over the side of the bed and leave it there for a few seconds. Continue doing that increasing the time all the time. Do it for a couple of minutes a couple of times a day. It puts traction on the painful nerve. Physio can't do any harm either.
    • Posted

Such a world of knowelege matron .your advice is worth its weight in gold!!xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much....I will try that later

• Posted

Hi Matron 

that is good advise I will try that one as I get sciatica too it can affect my knee and the arch of my foot when it's playing up so thank you for the advise (my first yoga class set it off too mustn't swing my knees fully to the floor next time whilst laying on my back just go so far over with my legs lol 

• Posted

It was a GP friend of mine who told me about it a few years ago when he saw me limping with the pain and it's the best advice I've been given for a long time because it helped the pain considerably.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.