Sciatica pain left leg

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive been dealing with back pain for over a year. now its turned into severe sciatica down my left leg. cant stand or walk, waiting for MRI on Wednesday. was taken by ambulance yesterday as i couldnt move. given some painkillers and sent home until MRI. i read here that i need to keep moving but how can i do that if the pain is mind numbing. i simply collapse on the floor. i am now worried i wont be able to get to the MRI without an ambulance... im on naproxen, omeprazole, cocodamol and diazepam at night. im scared. anyone had such severe symptoms?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am always one slight slip away from nightmare pain from a herniated L5 disc, so I completely understand the pain, you need to keep moving to maintain and build muscle strength or you will lose it.

I could barely walk 3 months ago and had to sleep in a recliner cause I couldn't get out of bed, what eventually helped was an Epidural Steroid Injection in my spine, coupled with pain meds like oxycodone.

I am able to do light tasks without pain, but walking is difficult because I similarly could not hardly move. Just move as much as possible and I know it sucks and 100% feel your pain.

After my MRI I had to go directly into a wheelchair, and months later I can get around and move, but it's been pure endurance and real pain killers. I'd press them on at least Tramadol for pain relief.

• Posted

thank you for the response. may i ask how old you are? im 29 and an absoluteky terrified. not sure how i will get to the mri that im like this... did you call ambulances? they iust sent me home with some cocodamol and diazapem for night time... and said its sciatica .. have you been able to return to relatively normal life?

• Posted

Yes I've had to have a micro discectomy on my L5 once as I was in too bad of pain to move, that was 3 years ago though and I've had the herniated disc bulge recede on it's own every year since.

I am a 34 year old Male in the US, the last bulge was caused by a pre-op enema for a colostomy reversal for some other nightmare stuff I've gone through the last 2 years.

Now I am able to shovel and my back will get sore, but a small slip on ice that engages my lower back muscles to catch me has turned me near paralyzed again.

Though I am able to do most stuff normally, I tire easily from being on my butt for so long, and am just extremely fluid in how I move.

And I could barely sit without insanity pain for months, so it does get better but how is something to speak with an orthopedic Dr about, the Epidural injections hadn't worked before but this time they saved my life.

I wouldn't hesitate to push for real pain relief if you really need it, I'd have gone into shock without oxy for a few weeks, but I'm off that and much better now.

• Posted

Also when I say move fluidly, I mean twisting and bending very slowly, and paying attention for the slightest bit of pain.

If I feel any pain I reset my position to where it's not painful and try again, I've learned this through several near paralysis episodes of sciatic pain, it's such an absolutely shocking pain!

• Posted

thank you for all the information and the sharing, i hope you keep getting better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.