Sciatica pain very bad when standing or trying to walk

Posted , 3 users are following.

First post here so a bit long!

Since March I have had an ongoing problem with sciatic pain in my right leg and buttock pain which is much worse now in the morning. It started after doing 3 days digging on our allotment.

I work on a computer (20+ years now) so spend a lot of time sitting during the day. I used to cycle up to 50 miles a week but haven’t been out on the bike since March. I would also normally walk 3-4 miles a day.

I saw my doctor at the end of April when the pain was getting bad enough to wake me up at night and he thought it was piriformis syndrome and told me to take ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Two weeks later the pain was much worse and I saw the doctor again and he prescribed naproxen and to continue with the paracetamol tablets. He referred me for an MRI but with the lockdown problems there are long delays

I have a TENS machine which numbs the buttock slightly but does not get rid of the pain or tingling. I spoke with the doctor again last week and he prescribed codeine 30mg tablets to take 4 times a day with the paracetamol and naproxen.

The codeine is making me feel dizzy and sick but they don’t seem to be helping much with the pain.

When first standing, I get very bad pins and needles down the right leg and a strong pain down to the foot which will not go away unless I lie down on my bed with my legs bent.

The right buttock muscle seems to spasm when putting any weight or pressure on the side and if I try to do the yoga cobra pose which the doctor recommended, I am not able to get flat on my front or arch my back as the muscle locks up and hurts too much . I tried heat pads and ice pads but they didn’t seem to make much difference.

I was not able to see a physio or chiropractor or osteopath as they were all closed but I was able to see a osteopath on the 8th June.

The osteopath examined me and thinks it is a disk bulge in L4 L5 which is causing all the pain and he did some basic movements of the leg and joints and I have to go back again next week.

Last night the pain in the leg was very bad when in bed and the pain tablets do not seem to be helping any more.

Has anyone else had the buttock spasm and leg pain issue and have you found any way to get moving again?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi.... i am deep, So sorry about your pain. i can feel your pain because i had the same issue.

i got injured during exercise in gym. so i used to feel backpain but that was very gentle. over the years it became worsen.

exactly same situation came as you have right now, visited physio, Chiro, Ortho.

nothing worked.

some Dr prescribe pain killer but most of them have adverse effects for long term.

one of my friend was using Gabapentin

she used to have complain of memory loss.

pain breakthrough exercise gave relief. if you can do yoga that will help but keep in mind that exercises must impact spine so that pressure can be released from nerves.

i am doing pain break through exercise daily 5-10 min this is enough to get relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.