Scoliosis/Harrington Rod and herniated disc

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm new here. I've been experiencing sciatic pain on my left leg for past 4 months. Surgeon said yesterday I have a herniated disc that is complicated by my scoliosis. He wants to remove my Harrington rod and do a spinal fusion which would correct my curviture. My rod is 50 yrs. Old! Any one ever have this done?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My Harrington rods are 44 years old. I was having crippling pain in my lower back due to a compensatory curve in my tailbone. I was told to have surgery with more rods and fusion -instead, I started practicing B ikram yoga 5 years ago. No more pain. My instructors often mention that it helps with sciatica also.
    • Posted

Thank you for this. I'm not convinced I need this surgery. I've been in pain for 4 months. Tried a chiropractor but was only good for 1 week then I started feeling the same way again. I'm better than I was 4 months ago but still can't do what I like, gardening, traveling. I can't sit our stand for very long. Looking for other people's input

• Posted

I know how it is, I was living a very limited life due to my back pain. I had difficulty even getting through grocery shopping, let alone doing anything active. I tried B ikram yoga in total desperation, but had little faith that it would help. I think its the heat that helps, because it seems to relieven the tightness and spasming. I truly could barely walk when I started, and I could only do a little bit in the classes. However, I noticed the pain relief in the first few classes, and that's what kept me going back. I still have a crooked gait, but other than that I'm completely able bodied. I can't re ommend it highly enough!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.