Seborrheic dermatitis help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Desperate for answers, sorry for long post I just wanted to give as much info as I can.

Dec 16 th I had my hair colored and highlighted for first time in a salon, (I always used box dye). I loved it and had no issues.

Went back 4 weeks later (January 13th) for root touch up, no issues.

About 2 weeks later I started noticing a lot of flaking , it looked like snow when I rubbed my head, like the size of salt. My scalp felt tight and dry at first then I started noticing a burning sensation, kind of reminded me of a friction burn (rug burn) feeling mainly on top of head. It's sore to move my hair and it also seems thinner on top. Hair dresser and daughter said scalp had flaky patches so I went to Dermatologist on the 13th and she said I had Seborrheic dermatitis and gave me a shampoo called ketoconazole to use 3x a week and Clobetasol. The back and sides of my head feel a lot better but the top is still bothering me. So far I used shampoo 5x .

I was wondering:

1. Could this be from hair dye or switch shampoo
  2. Are my symptoms normal for seborrheic dermatitis

3 Is it normal to still have the feeling on top of my head after using shampoo 5x

If so how long does it take to heal

4 I understand you can have hair loss due to scratching but my head has not been itchy its more of a inflamed feeling so can it still cause hair loss if you are not scratching

Also in December I started dieting, lost 12 pounds since, stopped smoking Jan 1st and also had a Covid booster shot a week before symptoms stared. On top of all that I am in perimenopause so I wonder if any of this could of triggered this since I have never had problems dying my hair at home although I feel like this may have happened before ,like years and years ago 15 + or more.

Ant thoughts would be so much appreciated especially on how long this lasts and symptoms. I'm trying to keep it together but am on verge of a breakdown especially over hair thinning. I can't believe that as soon as I started eating better stopped smoking and started to feel good about myself this happened. I feel like if I lose any more hair there is no point In losing weight and not smoking .

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I just wanted to mention that Seborrhoeic dermatitis (SD) can be very much exacerbated if you use a product you are sensitive to.

I had the same symptoms (large dry flakes, scalp feeling very tight, and not itchy but rather hurting when I touch it or wash my hair) and was also prescribed Ketoconazole shampoo. As I later found out, I am allergic to SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) which was a ingredient of the Ketoconazole shampoo I was prescribed.

I find that Zinc Pyrithione helps me control flare-ups of SD. It is available as a lotion or spray, but is also an ingredient (0.5%) in Dove, Dermacare Scalp, Anti-Dandruff Conditioner. I wash my scalp using a mild sulfate free shampoo, apply the conditioner and leave it on for 5 mins. For me it works so well that I also use it on the face to control SD around the nose.

As SD is a ongoing condition, it is important for me to regularly use the conditioner (at least once a week) to avoid symptoms. During a flare-up of SD, I also noticed more hair in the drain but in my case it did not lead to long term noticeable hair loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.