secondary osteoporosis: how long to recover?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, i'm 30 and some 9 months ago i fractured 2 bones in the ankle. i have been more than 2 months in the black boot nwb on crutches. but when started walking pain in fracture site was bad.

5 months ago i refractured the same ankle and was diagnosed with local osteoporosis in that leg (score t -3).

was explained that secondary osteoporosis after a prolonged time nwb is normal but i should have recovered sooner.

i was put in long plaster 10 weeks and my ankle felt 100% fine, but when cast was removed healing was still incomplete. so i was put in the walker boot for 2 more months.

in the last 3 weeks i finally started wb in regular shoes, but it's painfull and i must use the ankle brace.

i feel my ankle so weak, i'm afraid it has been a mistake to remove the cast before healing could complete.

how long does it takes usually to recover secondary osteoporosis? should i try to exercise the foot more? my terapist suggested an aggressive approach but i'm scared.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear your struggling, its a long process isn't it, I'm presuming you have had no surgery, how often are the xraying and when was the last one

• Posted

I assume the aggressive approach is exercise, not medication?  If your therapist has had rxperience with this kind of injury trust him/her.  Also make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need for good bone health.  Calcium, vitamin D, magnesium and vitamin K2 (k2, mind you, not the ordinary K1).  You are young and should recover well.
  • Posted

I have osteoporosis. I broke my ankle 7 months ago. I have a plate and 9 screws . I'm still limping but I'm not too concerned that I will refracture iDo you think you should ask if that kind of reinforcement would help you so you won't have to worry about fracturing it again ?

• Posted

thank for answers, correct i had no surgery and i'm regreting because i could have started walking sooner maybe. last x-rays are 3 months old now and next are expected in 3-4 months, i hope to see a good recovery by then.

i took integrators but i quit because i saw no benefits, anyway my diet should be enough for all the needed nutrients. what surprised me is that osteoporosis could be an issue even at relatively young ages.

probably i'm just too anxious, both therapist and ortho has experience. but, even if it sounds silly i wasn't happy when the cast was removed. so now i'm not confident enough to exercise the leg properly.

• Posted

I don't know if you are doing it yet but physical therapy will help you get your confidence back . I was scared to death to start putting weight on my ankle but trusted the PT to walk me through it and watch out for me

• Posted

yes i'm doing alot of physio because i was so scared, i had to force myself to use the foot again.

i'm still convinced i should have been in the cast a bit longer, because with the walker boot my foot was in too much pain and swelling.

i was told my ligaments shouldn't need a surgery but i just sprained my ankle again when tried to walk on uneven surface.

i think i'll need partial weight bearing for at least a week.

• Posted

we broke our ankles the same week as i remeber reading your posts. i allready recovered the osteopenia before the ligament surgery.

i'm sorry to write that but from what i saw in the video you linked i think your injury is pretty bad.

that ankle looks in much worse shape than mine. i suggest to look for another opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.