Seeking anyone who has knowledge of Gout

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice on the following.......

so over the past couple of months i've had a few random swellings.One day my left hand swelled up.The following day it had gone down but the right hand swelled up and lasted a few days.In fact when i rubbed it,it seemed like i was pushing the infection under my skin and down into my middle finger which in turn swelled up and hurt like crazy for 3 days.Weird i know.I then had a random swollen left shoulder for a few days.After that,for several weeks my wrists ached a tad,that often happened due to my trade and the fact i am 57,i assumed was a touch of arthritis.

Then last Friday the pain in my right hand and wrist was intense to the point it was unbearable.The following day both hands were swollen.

So i took ibrufen for a few days until i managed to see a doctor who gave me a prescription for codiene and sent me to a walk in hospital for blood tests.

2 days later i was in worse pain and my shoulder had become painful as well but i was called back to the doctors where i was given stronger anti inflametries,i think Naproxine.I was told that my blood test had showed that my B 12 was very low so i was also given a prescription for a 6week course of tablets to raise my B12 levels.

I was also told that it looks like i have gout and i was sent again to hospital this time for uric acid tests.

1) May i ask peoples opinions on this in general please?

2) Also if i was diagnosed with gout,should i have not been given Allopurinol to treat it?

3) Finally someone told me gout sufferers have a 25% lower life expectancy,how can this be with treatment?

Thankyou in advance

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.