Seizure like episodes after taking Seroquel! !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all!

I have been taking Seroquel for the past 4 years for my bipolar and my insomnia. Over the past year I have noticed that an hour after taking the 100 mgs, I have seizure like episodes. My legs need to move constantly. My arms start to turn inward, (imagine holding your arm and hand straight out in front of you and then the need to turn your arm inward and move it as close to your body as possible). I also get the uncontrollable urge to grunt and lock up my neck, shoulders. When this happens I feel I need to stretch. Sounds weird I know, but imagine a really good body stretch and then getting locked up in it. I have told the shrink about it but he doesn't seem concerned nor does my primary doctor. It does go away in about an hr. Has anyone else had this problem??!!? Seroquel has been the only sleep medication that actually makes me sleep for a good 6 hrs. I do not go in to REM sleep if I don't take it and I don't want to not sleep! Help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

I've had similar whilst taking Quetiapine. It sounds to me like you're having something called 'akathesia', a response that is common in antipsychotic treatment. If you go to your healthcare provider and explain the symptoms again, but this time ask for a medication to help with this. I take lurasidone, another antipsychotic, alongside a drug called procyclidine which helps the movement issues I've had. If I didn't take the procyclidine the symptoms that you describe for me would be uncontrollable and really miserable. Research akathesia for yourself and see if it fits, then go back to your doctor and discuss medications that can help!

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

I had completely forgotten I made this post! Well its been a year. I had still been having issues with this restless moving and the feeling of just not being able to sit still. I also went to a new shrink, closer to home. She up'ed my dose of Seroquel from 100 mgs a night, to now 250 a night, plus another 50 during the day. Her goal is to get me to around 400 mgs per day to help with my Bipolar disorder.

I am a diabetic and within the last year my primary has given me a prescription of Gabapentin for my diabetic neuropathy. I am to take 300 mgs 3 times per day. At night time my legs and hands hurt worse than during the day, so I would take 2, 300 mgs pills with my Seroquel. I did some research on Gabapentin and found out it is anti-epileptic/anticonvulsant medication. Well presto....like magic it helps with the Seroquel! I noticed a dramatic difference in my seizure like episodes ( this was before she up'ed my dosage). I brought it to the attention of my new shrink and all she basically said was, "Great, keep doing it that way." But, once again, I have noticed that not every night it will work. I go back to see her in 3 weeks and I will mention what you have told me. But, I just wanted to share that tidbit of info regarding the Gabapentin. Someone else out there may need the help!

• Posted

ive been on it for two years at 25mg at night and just wanted to say i still scrunch up my shoulders and wake up sore each day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.