Seizure when standing up.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Approximately 4 years ago I went through a period of time where I got extremely light headed when standing and had blacked out vision and body tingling/numbness. These episodes caused me to have two seizures which I went to my GP about but they didn't seem too concerned about it which surprised me.

Since then I have had occasional episodes of blacking out vision and tingling when standing but never full blown seizures. The majority of the time this is never an issue.

Last week I began having increasingly worse episodes, along with pretty bad exhaustion as well, I started taking my blood pressure during and after these episodes. It remained between 109-131 systolic and 71-100 diastolic with an average HR of 80. The readings were normal while sitting and rose slightly higher a period of time after these episodes. I managed to take 3 readings during the episodes 66/48 and 52/37 average HR: 150, the blood pressure readings obviously shocked me. During the third reading I actually had another full blown seizure, fell to my knees, limbs shaking and lost consciousness for about 3 seconds, during this time the BP monitor kept going up to 220+ and very slowly went down, then about two minutes after the seizure it gave me a reading of 82/53.

I am a registered paediatric nurse so I am aware of both orthostatic hypotension and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, I believe it more likely to be the former. My question is: is it worth going to the doctors about this? I know there isn't much to be done and the GP wasn't too concerned the last time.

I'm just concerned because it's been approximately an hour since the seizure and I just feel exhausted with a strange tingling in my head and limbs, mostly arms and almost light headed along with a feeling of being "out of it" and a general sort of off feeling so to speak. However the episodes stopped happening the last time they occurred and I have been under a lot of stress this week, extremely sleep deprived (staying up for 36hrs on two occasions then only getting 2-4hrs sleep to compensate.) and haven't been eating or hydrating very well. I have been recuperating today, I'm off work and have been eating/drinking and taking vitamins. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this happening again? I'm quite anxious about it happening at work or in public.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and I appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Dear Lexipedia,

You are having a rough time of it. Sounds serious to me. I had three seizures at work on night shift. My head nurse told me that I was a risk factor. I have been on Long Term Disability for almost a year now. Joke is I am going into retirement this coming January. The unite I was working on installed very bright fluesent lighting plus a new fire alarm system with flashing red lights, a night mare for me. I started siezures right after having a heart scan, with raidoactive dye. My daughter called a ambulance. Five years now, I am still having them. Their triggers are flashing lights, fluesent lighting, lighting strikes, fast editing on TV, bright sun light, sun light glare off cars etc...such is my life, I get on with it. I have had MRI, CT and EEGs. I had told my neuroglist that my eyes are open when I see flashing lights not closed during a EEG. She had a lost of words. My vatals are everywhere when I am having a seizure, sky rocking with a heart rate over 200+ sometimes. Adivan calms them back down to within normal, 2mg. Exhaustion, yes a tingling in the head and else wheres, speach problems ( Tazan talk) etc...I usually have an aura before hand, like a lighting strike that fills my head or plusing green color that fells my vision. I have been on meds but they do have their side effects, nasty. Not getting enough sleep has a big time effect on these and too much emotional stress. In your line of work its on going, I know this.

Hope I helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.