Self catheterisation..help..

Posted , 4 users are following.

I hav an appointment nxt wk for the nurse to teach me self catheterisation...please can some1 explain to me wat to expect...im more scared of this than i am of my pendin surgery...x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

When I went to learn the first time I was really nervous just the same as you. But the more nervous you are the more your muscles tighten and the harder and more damage you do when doing ISC.

I would recommend trying to relax before going in. The first thing my nurse done was calm me down... She then went on to describe in a lot of detail how to preform it myself with the help of a book she went through step by step. She then got a whole bunch of catheters together and explained the difference in them and asked which one I would like to use. Some are more compact than others and some looks better but that's it.

She then asked me to have a shot, she said if I wanted her to watch and help but I said no. She talked me though different positions to try when doing it. I got it pretty much first time. She then gave me a starter pack and information on how to order more. Gave me her phone number to if I needed any help. That's about all I went through, anything else you want to know?

Kim

• Posted

Hi

Thanku so much hun i am terrified...not sure why thou...does it hurt hun and is there any way i cd do it wrong...i no that mite b a strange question...from readin ur reply its sounds quite straight forward and i jus need to learn to calm my nerves b4 i get there xx

• Posted

Hey. Sorry for not replying for ages but had a really ruff weekend sad

I was the exact same as you and it's normal to be like that. I am only just 21 and hated the thought!

At the start for me it never hurt for the first few weeks but then I wasn't able to do it at all and just seen lots of blood. My nurses were even struggling to get an indwelling catheter in so now I have a supra pubic catheter. I found out a I have rare condition called fowlers syndrome and it is harder to do with my condition. But it really shouldn't hurt you, just take your time and if you can't get it first go don't panic. Relax and try again.

I know what you mean I was scared to try as I didn't know where to insert it and thought far too much about it. This does sound gross but you can miss your urethra and insert it into your vagina, you'll know if you do this as no urine will come out. If you do that, don't panic it just means you need to go higher up. They can give you a mirror if you want to be able to see where your putting it but I didn't want to use them. I found standing and sometimes sitting the best way for it. I know how scared your feeling right know as I was in that position. I felt like I would be judged but it has to be done. We need to get our urine out our bladder and it is more hygienic than a long term one. I did enjoy when doing it I felt more free like down below which felt great!

Feel free to add me on Facebook if you have it and then anytime you need advice or anything you can ask me. Even after you've started it smile When is your appointment? xx

• Posted

Hi hun my appointment is nxt tues 29th...ive got the added pressure that if i cant be taught how to do it then i wont get my needed surgery to fix my bladder prolapse...im so really scared about it hurtin i cant stop worryin about it....

Ive watched videos on you tube about it haha weird i no and it looks so easy...

Yes im on facebook hun feel free to find me ive got a profile pic of spongebob...profile name sarah higginson...it b fab to hav a friend who knows and understands wat im talkin about 😃 xx

• Posted

Hi. Not sure if you are male or female. It is an easy process. Takes some forward planning especially when going out and using public toilets but becomes part of daily living. Not painful, just minor discomfort I would say from a male point of view. Worst part is getting it round the prostate I found.
    • Posted

Hi hunni im female and dreadin it...i need to ditch the fear and find a way to be calm for my first appointment nxt wk or im jus goin to go to pieces..xx
    • Posted

Hi Hun I'll give you an add today. My names Kim macfarlane. I

If you find it too sore which it's not really just uncomfortable I would say. Mines became sore and unable to do as my muscles closed up so needed surgery to put a catheter through my skin into my bladder. You can always ask for something called instilagel which is like a local anaesthetic liquid you squeeze up and around before you insert the catheter. I'm sure they will be able to let you do that. The self catheters I used were tiny and so discreet it looked like mascara! They also come pre lubricated which makes it easier and less painful when inserting. Just take your time when doing it and don't panic, if you panic your muscles will tense up and it will be harder and sorer for you to do.

I really wish you well for your appointment try not to think about it too much. Can I ask how you empty your bladder just now? I am dreading my supra pubic change and want a general anaesthetic as I was in agony with my last change sad xx

• Posted

Bless you hun i hope they agree to u havin anaesthetic i sure they wil..

At the moment i empty it in a normal Way but after loads of tests they say ive got nerve damage to my bladder and my brain and bladder dont understand each other so it doesnt empty properly and get no warning as to wen i need to go sometimes i can jus stand up and ill wet myself and cant do a thing about it..worse at night wen i go from lyin down to standin..its horrible and havin to wear pads every day jus in case of accidents...consultant says he wil operate wit a mesh to lift my bladder as its dropped thru my vaginal wall causin that to collapse but i need to be trained in self catheterisation first as after surgery i may hav to self catheterise always if the surgery doesnt work...but he wont even put me on the surgical list until im confident in sc which at the moment i cant see myself ever bein..im so desperate for my op i think im puttin more pressure on myself :-( xx

• Posted

Please don't worry, I was the same as you when I went for a cyscoscopy thing and I worried for nothing, just like you hopefully. I found its easiest done with a full bladder when I empty mine. Colorplast make speedicath catheters and for males in the UK they are the best from what I know of. Most important is to buy some anti bacterial personal wipes for beforehand and wash your hands with anti bacterial soap before you start gently inserting it. I'm sure ladies are very similar to us in using catheters. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thanku so much hun and ill defo b stockin up on anti bacterial wipes and wil let u no how it goes my app is nxt tues im goin to see the nurse at my gp surgery on fri in the hope she wil giv me some tips also...fingers xed xx
    • Posted

Hi well i had my appointment yesterday...nurse was great...helped me to find the rite place 😂... Well how painful was it..i actually cried wit the pain it was awful..so she sent me home wit a bag of goodies to practice at home...she said it shudnt b painful..so ive tried again today at home on my own in a different position and yes uncomfortable but not painful...not somethin i think i cd get used to doin thou..but wit practice who knows... :-) but after doin it i find i hav an over welming urge to pee is this normal... :-/ xx
    • Posted

I'm so glad you managed to do it smile! Did she give you any gel to numb the area before inserting it? I ordered mine from coolplast I think and it came with everything! Wipes, mirror, small bag for when outside, the hand gel and something else I think. How long have you to do it for before they will put your name on the list? Yeah it's about finding out what's the best position for you and what's easier/comfery smile! Yeah we never get used to haveing to do this but if needs must! I think at the beginning I did feel I needed to pee after it, but I'm not to sure. Maybe give the nurse a call and just ask for advice smile I do that all the time to my district nurses haha xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.