Selincro Shortage !!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was at G.P. appointment, last Wednesday... I got my usual Prescriptions... BUT... Selincro/Nalmefene was not available, at the Pharmacy.  I was not too bothered, because that has happened before and it gets ordered.   This time... NOTHING.  I 'phoned today to enquire... there is a problem at manufacture level.  This is Monday.  The Pharmacist suggested that I ask G.P. for an alternative medication... I suppose that is Naltrexone.  

So,  I have telephoned a message to G.P.  I will check tomorrow, if there is a new Prescription for me. 

How the heck are you supposed to stick to the routine, without the medication?

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have used the few tablets I had left.... Oh well, what next ?

Alonangel ??

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Bloody awful if it's true.Theres no point in being on a medication that you HAVE to take if it's not available.

I doubt the doc will prescribe naltrexone as its not licensed for TSM.

I'm not due a new prescription for 2 weeks so will let you know how I get on

• Posted

Thanks, Nicole.  I am at a loss, here.  I just have to wait and see what happens next.  Unfortunately, I over-did the drink, last night... I am more than a bit stressed by this situation.

Angel 😩

• Posted

You might find it's a blessing in disguise if your GP will prescribe Naltrexone as the side effects are much less severe, so much so that we are using Naltrexone rather than Nalmefene for our clients.

A recent report after research done in Scotland is quite scathing of Nalmefene and it is possible that this may have affected supply.

• Posted

Hi Angel. As you know I get prescribed naltrexone when I drink. The doctor was fine with it as long as I go to alcohol Advisery service which is fine by me. You take it 1 hour before you drink rather than 2 hrs with nalmephene. I see them once a month for a half hour chat. They will home visit too xx Good luck and stay safe xxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Thanks, Paper fairy.  I am waiting to get response from G.P.  I phoned earlier (10a.m.), but there is no new alternative prescription, yet.

Angel 😢

• Posted

Hello Paper and Angel.  I have just read the report on TSM which I had never heard of.  I would ideally like to cut right back on alcohol to a glass each night.  The thought of non at all is awful to me - my one and only pleasure in life - literally.  I have not been to the Recovery Clinic my doc suggested as I would have to get 2 buses and know I would not stick it.  I am due to see her again in a few weeks, she probably wants to check how I am doing.  Do you think I should mention this TSM to see if she is aware of it. 

I need to do something now but am sooo scared of cutting down too swiftly and the consequenses.  At least this would give my poor liver a chance to rejuvinate.

Thanks for your feedback.

Gwen

• Posted

If your doctor is totally unwilling to prescribe naltrexone instead, then ask your surgery to ring whichever pharmacist in your area supplies the local hospital, as this pharmacy will tend to keep far more stock of medicines than your local pharmacy.

I will message my contact at Lundbeck and see if they can shed any light on any supply issues.

• Posted

Thank thank you, Joanna.  This situation is a total nuisance... because I just don't feel able to go alcohol-free, just now.

• Posted

I haven't heard back from my contact at the manufacturers (Lundbeck) yet, but I have heard back from a reputable private online supplier.

They tell me that, as far as they can see, there are currently no shortage issues and they can still order in bulk from the manufacturer.

I've also just rang my pharmacy (big company, but won't say the name on here!) and they have checked their computers and they say they would have no problems obtaining it within 24 hours either.

Have you tried ringing another couple of pharmacies in your local area, Alonangel?

• Posted

Also, this private supplier WILL fulfil NHS prescriptions too.  So, you would go onto their site, put the tablets into your basket, and then send your prescription to them by freepost.

If you normally pay for your NHS prescriptions, it would be the usual NHS prescription charge £8.40 plus postage I believe.  If you don't normally pay for your prescription, then they have the ability to do that too.

I don't feel comfortable naming the company on here, so if your doctor will not prescribe naltrexone instead, and you can't get it from any local pharmacies, then PM me and I will give you the details. 

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

Thank you very much for the information.

I have phoned my local pharmacy again, with your update on supplies info.  The Pharmacy has changed owners since my last prescription... the Pharmacist said she would re-check with the 3 suppliers they use.

I will phone back after 2p.m.  Never a dull moment !

My prescriptions are free as I live in Scotland, so I hope I can get the medication through the usual channel.

I appreciate your help.  I am hoping to apply a modicum of control, today.  I lost it, yesterday.  Oh dear !f

I am drinking Apple Cider Vinegar in water, at the moment... to 'flush' my system... or pickle it !!  I will follow with lots of water, blueberries and Herbal Teas.  I will attempt to be Alcohol-Free, today.  

Everything crossed... and prayers on high.

Angel ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.