Seriously over weight

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 36 and have always been the 'big one' in my group of friends, colleagues. 4 years ago i was 18stone and lost 6 1/2 stone in space of a year. i was so pleased with myslef i could fit into size 10-12 clothes and was feeling real good, people then started to say i looked too skinny. I felt as though i could not win 1st im too fat now im too skinny, even stranges would say stuff, i was at the pizza counter in Sainsburys and one slim women said to me i could do with eating a few pizzas, i then took on board what people were saying and started to eat a bit more, worst mistake of my life as i am now 20 stone size 20-22 and i have a serious issue with food, I am addicted to food. I also became addicted to co-codamol along the way and am just starting to deal with that issue but feel once i have completed that i seriously need to tackle my weight. I know i can do it without the help of weigh loss surgery or drugs but i am scared. I use food as i sure most on here do as  comfort, its my only true friend, it will never let me down and its so dam yummy but i do feel alwful after i have stuffed my face with share size packs of choc or have a burger and chips at lunch and then a dinner in the evening.

I have a food addiction that much  i know but i feel everyone sees a fat person and thinks they know my story, they think i am fat and lazy and all i do all day is eat, wrong. I am no where as active as i use to be and i get out of breath going up the stairs i know i must stop as im killing myself but i find food hard to go without.

I feel all GP's are not very sympethic towards fat people they jsut say eat less but if i was an alcholic or drug addict they would help me to go to rehab anfd battle my addiction there just seems to be nothing for people who are staring their addiction in the face every day, it is extremly hard just to make a good choice be it at a petrol station, supermarket or corner shop.

I think as a society we need to wise up, reliase that food addiction is true and be slightly more sympathic towards fat people We need to feel that as soon as we walk in to a dr surgey we will be given the full support that is needed not just offered pills or surgey or told to eat less, this needs some form of mind training cause even if we lose the weight there is no guarantee it will stay off the problems with food which were there before are still there hiding, I am living proof of that., I dont mind using the word fat as i am now mainly all fat , i aplogise if my choice of word affends some.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Teresa well done for the initial weight lose. I beleive that we need help during the weight loss as it very major hit on your life. Some doctors have weight loss clinics that give you all the support you need. It is very very hard to give up things that taste so good!

I've been very lucky with the support I had during my weight loss as I had a gastric sleeve done 8 months ago and have 33 kilos.

It annoys me when people think u have lost weight because of just surgery but it's just a tool to help u I put in all the hard work and reversed my type 2 diabetes.

This operation changed my eating habits for the better

• Posted

Hi Sally, well done you so pleased for you.

They dont offer them sort of clinics round my area which is such a shame i really could do with the help.

I would really like to avoid surgey but if i cant manage to lose and keep weight off i will have to try and get it as i need to make a serious change for myself and for my family if i dont want to be of any burden when i am older.

• Posted

Go to your gp and ask him to refer you for as you can see any doctor now even if it means travelling out of your area. I never wanted the surgery but to be honest Teresa it the best thing I've done my weight went up and down an when my grandsons came along I was fed up with being out of breath playing with them and now it's amazing.

I'm having a tummy tuck next month through the nhs!

I would recommend the surgery to anyone who struggles with there weight and is prepared for the hard work involved

• Posted

Dear Teresa, my heart absolutely bleeds for you.  I am now 72 and have battled eating too much since I was a child.  I think because I was determined to have the same as my big brother 3 years older.  I have done every diet and in my late 60s had bariatric surgery (sleeve).  I lost 6 stone put one back on but I was so big that I am still a size 24 and can't get any lower.  I am happier with myself I must confess because I was a size 36 and so can now wear nice clothes which I feel good in. I am also a lot more mobile. You are completely right that the medical profession needs to wise up but I KNOW they already know that it is a psychological problem like drink and drugs but it is now such a huge problem that they just can't get their heads round it.  The food industry needs to be tackled as they are not helping with marketing products which are so called slimming, lite, then filling up with chemical laden alternatives. 

I have, to be fair, done courses dealing with the psychological side of things all of which were helpful but nothing has proved to be a permanent solution. But please do push for that type of help.  You are very much younger than me and therefore your problems may not be so set in stone as mine are.  I didn't get any help until I was over 50.  Good luck. D

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

had the same thing when I lost a tonne of weight, people notice the dramatic change from your previously normal state and it makes them perceive you as too skinny. Ultimately health is the most important goal and that has a pretty wide field. Regular activity and a variety in diet is the way to go. I think that your issue isn't so much your weight but more your perception of self and your confidence. Food addiction is quite often a sign of underlying conditions, try seeing a psychologist and speak to them about these issues as a GP will normally just say 'lose weight'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.