Sertraline for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there,

I was put on Sertraline (now taking 150mg a day) to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and since then Fibromyalgia. However, I do not find that it helps at all, no matter how much exercise I do, I still end up extremely fatigued and in considerable pain in my neck and lower spine.

Does anyone else take it for the same diagnosis? Has anyone found anything else that helps? I have tried acupuncture and other alternative therapies but they seem to have no reaction.

I often feel like I'm a bomb waiting to explode and my friends/family are constantly walking on eggshells around me.

I hope someone can enlighten me,

Stuart

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

CFS and Fibromyalgia are complicated disorders that are rather difficult to treat. Treatment is usually a combination of drugs and therapies that include physical exercise and relaxation techniques. Sertraline is only used to treat depression and/or anxiety that may be caused by CFS and Fibromyalgia. In any case, 150 mg of Sertraline is considered too high to treat depression; although it may be able to ease the pain in Fibromyalgia. Usually, a combination of analgesics, anti-depressants and muscle relaxants are administered con-comittantly to treat such disorders coupled with physical exercise, relaxation therapy and psychiatric counselling. The analgesics and muscle relaxants are to help you manage your pain while anti-depressants like Sertraline, Lorazepam, etc., is to relieve your depression and anxiety. If you suffer from insomnia, your GP may prescribe Zolpidem (Ambien) for short-term treatment.

Benzodiazepines may help to relax your muscles and make you sleep better, but doctors often avoid them in treating fibromyalgia because they can be habit-forming, and they don't provide long-term benefits.

Narcotics aren't recommended for treating fibromyalgia because of the potential for dependence and addiction. Corticosteroids, such as prednisone, aren't known to be effective in treating fibromyalgia.

So, the best thing to do is to ask your physician to devise a workable treatment plan for you. Drugs, although important, aren't enough.

• Posted

Hi Stuart

I post regularly on the CFS forum as I suffer from both ME and fibromyalgia.

I have been taking Dosulepin (started off on 50mg and now on 150mg) at night for the last year or so and find that it does take the edge off the fibro. pain and also helps me sleep at night. I think it's just a case of finding out which drug suits which individual.

We would be absolutely delighted if you would join us on the CFS forum (partly because we are a bit short on lads smile - I think we girls have scared them off with our banter!! :run:

We all offer a great deal of support to each other as well as having lively, okay sometimes a bit silly :roll:,discussions and we have formed great friendships and have a lot of fun. Do drop in - we would love to hear from you. :ok:

Katie smile

• Posted

Hi Katie I picked up on one of your replies to Stuart and so I have responded thus! I'm a guy with CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia, I also have a spinal problem (30 years plus) this makes it a triple whammy for me, but I'm sure there are others worse off than me. It's great to talk to others who understand these conditions and, as you rightly state, us guys are in the minority.

Well if I can join in and help I'd love too. Thanks for listening, Paul.

• Posted

Hi Stuart, I'm a carer for a young adult with cfs (and no other symptoms) and writing to you, even though it's a long time since you posted, to let you know what has worked for us. 

The condition will make anyone depressed.  It's not properly understood and there is inadequate funding to research how it occurs.  My young person was misdiagnosed for 4 years and there has been no treatment in the 2 years since diagnosis but prior to diagnosis the treatments offered (exercise more, being told how to live a normal life, then being told it's all in your head etc etc) did not help and almost certainly made it much, much worse.

Keeping well away from NHS professionals unless they are expert and interested in finding out how to treat sufferers helps.  Only doing what you can do and not doing what other people think you should do helps.  Therapeutic yoga (relaxation and being in the present) helps.  Mild painkillers (alcohol and cocodamol) help.  Not thinking or talking about the condition helps.  If you are a mature adult with experience of independent living, now have to adapt to a new life entirely and have funds of your own to spend as you choose, Mickle therapy may help.

I hope you are well cared for by people who understand what you are coping with.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi all

I've just found this site via a search engine. I have been suffering with CFS for three years and have been managing it well until earlier this year. My GP has prescribed me with Sertraline as my mood is very low at the moment. I just can't seem to get through this tough period no matter how positive I am and using my techniques which have always worked.

As this thread is over a year old I was wondering what side effects Sertraline has caused and the benefits. I would rather not put any drug in my body but I feel I'm might have to. sad

Any advice would be appreciated

J

• Posted

Hello Sir,

I have struggled with Fibromyalgia and extreme depression for 10+ years now, Zoloft helped at first its ok only been a few months I have been taking it and have taken countless anti depressants for years ...something works for awhile and then you need to change it because you fall into the same old depression spiral again....I can tell you one thing. ..I have really never felt so much self hatred and suicidal thoughts since I have started taking the Zoloft....at first it seemed to help because it made my anxious/AGITATED episodes very very quiet and almost just kept it to myself...but now I feel like im am a ticking time bomb and internally, I hate myself... I dont even want to visit my week old neice because I hate myself I dont care for anyone else. Antidepressants are completely on a person to person basis...if you feel leveled out and have a better outlook on life then keep taking it. ..after a few weeks if it affects you like it has me.. crying myself to sleep every night and completely hating anything and everything..my poor husband is such a trooper for putting up with me...if this happens to you go to the dr. And transition onto a different medicine. ...antidepressants absolutely do help its all about finding the one that works best for you..give it atleast a month or 2..if things get worse or not better than you should prob switch to something else..i promise you the answer is out there but unfortunately we all react differently to medications so you have to find the one that makes you feel the most level and not so sad all the time....hope this helps...always willing to talk since I am going through a very rough patch as well!! Best of luck, hang in there...you will find a way to help manage everything going on in your head...unfortunately its not an over night fix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.