Sertraline + frequent urination - does it go away?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm on Day 9 of 25mg of Sertraline to treat anxiety. Had quite a rough first few days with side effects like nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, just generally feeling out of it and dopey. For the past few days my side effects seem to have died down and my anxiety seems more under control, I feel happy. The only thing that is bothering me is I need to pee, A LOT!! 

I need to pee nearly every hour and when I do it is a lot that comes out, not just a trickle. A lot of the time, liquid just looks clear too almost like water. It makes me nervous going out with friends as it makes me anxious I could just have an accident in public.. 

I have looked online for info, and I know frequent urination is a side effect of Sertraline. However, is this one of the side effects that will go away (like all the others seem to have done) or is it here to stay? What has been your experience? 

I'm due to increase to 50mg in just over a week and it makes me anxious that the problem could get worse.. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Its not a se i got but i assume its like the rest thry should fade
  • Posted

Hi Lucy,

The side effect should pass in a week or Two, be sure to drink water and plenty of it. I had similar effects to you, but they do pass, The first Two weeks are normal for side effects to be prone, but they will pass 😊

• Posted

Thank you both!

I guess I'm concerned as all the other side effects have seemed to die down. The first 5 days or so we're really up and down. However, I now feel better than I have done in months in terms of my anxiety, so I would hate to have to switch to something else because of a pesky side effect.

Is it likely when I increase to 50mg the side effects will "start again"?

• Posted

Discuss with your GP about your dosage, if you feel comfortable and are doing fine on 25mg stay as you are, besides it takes anything up to Three weeks for full effect of antidepressants. And if you feel no different, you can always increase the dosage.
  • Posted

I started at 50mg with no side effects; but am having problems with more depression at 150mg.  Go figure, 50 and 100 fine and feeling better, now an increase and back to square one.  Join the club, when you are 65 you have to pee all the time!  I would rather pee alot than be more depressed.  Sorry Lucy!
  • Posted

I am approaching the 3 week mark with my Sertraline dose of 50MG (doctors recommended dose). My side effects have been slight nausea, headaches and a sluggish feeling in my brain AND a dry mouth. Now the funny thing is, these have all started to ease but for the last 2 days I also have the urge to pee and most of the time its almost clear water. I don't go at night, no waking up and rushing to the loo, it's just during the day. I will give it a week or so and if it hasn't gone I will contact my GP. 51 yr old male 😃

• Posted

sorry to jump on an old thread but did this ever resolve for you? I'm 2.5 weeks into sertraline, 25mg. Very few side effects luckily but now all i can think about is needing a wee. this is causing problems with things like getting the tube when i know i won't be near a toilet. really hoping this goes away as it's impacting my life 😦 40 year old male if that helps

• Posted

Hello Ben,

I am at 3 weeks of sertaline 25 mg and am having the same side effect. Need to go to pee all the time. Peeing more than usual . The pee is usually clear. M 40 here too. Did this resolve for you ?

Thank you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.